Just getting into metal, recommendations

kratos609

Holy Demon
May 18, 2009
Recently I've found my new favorite band, Metallica. After getting all their albums, I have to say that they are amazing! (with the exception of Load and ReLoad, which I believe are good grunge albums, but not metal, and St. Anger, which I believe is a piece of crap). I've also gotten into Trivium (their later stuff), Avenged Sevenfold (my 2nd favorite band, I know they're not really metal but...), Kamelot, Iron Maiden, Pantera, and recently Dream Theater. I've tried to get into some other thrash bands since Metallica's thrash, but they all seem different somehow. I've realized that I like the progressive sort of stuff in Metallica, epic guitar solos and musicianship, clear singing where you can understand the words, deep lyrics and long songs. What bands are similar to the ones I've listed and like this?

Thanks.

For melodic prog-ish thrash, these three albums should all work. Artillery's and Deathrow's other material probably wouldn't be your thing, though.

Artillery - By Inheritance

Deathrow - Deception Ignored

Heathen - Victims of Deception (this album can be downloaded free off the band's website)

Last edited by a moderator:
No Megadeth?

The only band you're going to find who sound a lot like Metallica are Am I Blood? If everyone sounded like them, what would be the point?

You need to seek out and listen to Megadeth, Exodus, Kreator, (early) Anthrax, and Slayer for starters. They were all doing it when Metallica was coming up.

This thread is going to pack quickly with flames and recommendations...

If you like Metallica for their progressive side - listen to some Testament. Probably The New Order first.

Not all that related to any of those but if you're not into aggressive vocal styles you can definitely enjoy Cynic's Traced In Air. Also for clean vocals some doom stuff like Krux or something. Or depressive stuff that's not all that metal like Katatonia.

Wasn't mentioned but Black Sabbath should also be a no brainer. If you like Trivium then I'm sure you can get into power metal too, at least try Iced Earth.

Based on your post, I would suggest staying away from Exodus/Kreator kinds of bands as they're really just straight thrash (though there's some long songs).

that's where you lost me.

Me too honestly.

I'm going to go ahead and recommend Six Feet Under anyway though. (awaits flames)
But seriously... if there's a chance you might like death metal, the mid paced groovy death metal they play and the barked, perfectly understandable vocals are a decent test, imo.

Yes, and Matt Heafy is honestly a horrible screamer. It's one thing to be un-understandable on purpose, but to be mostly un-understandable because you tried and failed is not a good thing.

Metallica is timeless. I have grown pretty bored with Trivium though. The Ascendancy stayed interesting for a while but that is even played out now.

gee... where to start *sigh*

Tank

Dio

Anvil

Yes No Tomorrow

Bruce Dickinson

Testament

Tesla

Def Lepard

Airbourne

AC/DC

Lord

Cathedral

Lamb of God

Alex Cooper

Poison

Hinder

Striper

Hanoi Rocks

Rainbow

Motley Cru

Warrant

Whitesnake

Twisted Sister

Winger

Napalm Death

Fear Factory

Necrophpbic

Cannibal Corpse

Immortal

Mayhem

Mortem (peru)

Behemoth

Absu

Bloodbath

Carcass

Deicide

Dimmu Borgir

Dissection

Watain

Exodus

Hammerfall

Helloween

Gamma Ray

Machine Head

Nile

Obituary

Obscura

Necrophagist

Opeth

Psycroptic

Red Harvest

Sepultura

Toxic Holocaust

Vader

Vital Remains

enjoy!

I don't mind screaming as long as its not unintelligble. I think that lyrics are an important part of music and if I can't understand them...