Death metal w/ synth and Slayer album recommendations

Mayor_McCheese

New Metal Member
Jan 18, 2011
Hey everyone, new to the forum. A few years ago I started getting into metal, and now I have the discographies of a few bands and random albums of others and i'm looking for more. To list my favorites:
Metallica (started it all for me)
Iron Maiden
Children of Bodom
Kalmah
Made of Hate
Imperanon
Windir
Dimmu Borgir (really getting into them)
Amon Amarth
In Flames
Slayer

More, but those are the main ones.

And that leads me to ask for recommendations. I LOVE death metal combined with synth/keyboards that add a whole new element to the music so anything related to that/related to my list of bands would be some great suggestions. Any album suggestions are welcome too. And, any highly suggested bands would be great. Let me know if there's anything that belongs on my list.

Also, i'm just recently getting into Slayer and i'm loving the songs I own of theirs: South of Heaven, Angel of Death, Skeletons of Society, Seasons in the Abyss, Dead Skin Mask, and most of all Black Magic. I'm looking to buy a full album and i'm wondering which of them would be best to buy based on the songs I like. I love the interludes of both Black Magic and Angel of Death and would love more like that.

Thanks a ton for anyone who helps at all.

As far as the keyboard/synth death metal goes, Tales From The Thousand Lakes by Amorphis will do you right. Great keyboard integration into some doom-ish death metal. Just started getting into it myself.

As for the Slayer recommendation, even though you didn't mention any songs from Hell Awaits I don't think any of their albums even come close to matching that one. For me, it epitomizes thrash metal, and when I started listening to Slayer all the songs that you listed were my favorites as well. It really is Slayer at their best.Hope you like it.

Going to plug a few Aussie DM bands with keyboards:

Aeon of Horus - Only use keyboards sparingly, but when they do, it gives the songs some pretty cool atmosphere. eg about 2:15 into this:

Be'lakor - Melodeath, more prominent use of keys. They seem to be getting some pretty good international press, their last album is still highest voted album of 09 at metalstorm.net.

Empyrean - On hiatus after one album, unfortunately. A shame because the last song they uploaded on Myspazz, Odium was quite good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant really help you with the death metal but as for which slayer albums I recommend purchasing Raining blood,South of heaven, and seasons of the abyss.