Music rumours and random discussion

2001 was the Stiff Upper Lip tour, great time to catch them. Why would you have bought a ticket to see a verifiably inferior singer to Brian Johnson tackle the band's catalogue? That's like paying just as much for both a 24 karat diamond and a slab of wood.

He's certainly a singer, but I've never been a fan.
Fair enough, but in terms of sheer ability, he's one of the better singers in rock history period. I've seen countless classically trained vocalists try and fail miserably to replicate the drive, power, and tone he hit all his best notes with. They'll reach the note, but they won't manage it nearly as well as he does. One of the finest high register capacities I've ever seen on a vocalist.

I have never thought of Brian Johnson as a singer with a register really, I love the guy, and his vocals, but to me, he always sounded like an early extreme metal singer, screaming rock n roll, and I fucking love that about AC/DC from 1980 onwards.

Axl surely does do 'gruff' alot clearer than Brian, but I am still ambivalent about the whole Axl/Acca Dacca thing, just not my flavour is all, I totally get their reason for it, and if I already had a ticket, I would still go and see the event.

*EDIT* Watching some recentish live stuff with Brian in the band, always the way, the band looks to be having the most fun onstage in some time. Hope he gets back to recording at least...

Last edited:
I have never thought of Brian Johnson as a singer with a register really, I love the guy, and his vocals, but to me, he always sounded like an early extreme metal singer, screaming rock n roll, and I fucking love that about AC/DC from 1980 onwards.

Axl surely does do 'gruff' alot clearer than Brian, but I am still ambivalent about the whole Axl/Acca Dacca thing, just not my flavour is all, I totally get their reason for it, and if I already had a ticket, I would still go and see the event.

*EDIT* Watching some recentish live stuff with Brian in the band, always the way, the band looks to be having the most fun onstage in some time. Hope he gets back to recording at least...
He's most certainly a singer, his screaming doesn't make that untrue. Robert Plant and Rob Halford do plenty of screams, but they're still very much singing. It's not like a black or death metal singer where it's more in key primal wailing and growling, he just has a really gritty timbre when he sings AC/DC material, and when you mix that with the generally higher registers AC/DC songs are sung in (and the fact that Brian is a baritone, and baritones aren't supposed to be able to sing that high that well), it makes that sound. I could understand where you'd get the idea that he's not singing in the traditional sense from the raw, primal edge it has to it, but he is. Axl, as great of a singer as he is, is no Brian Johnson, he just doesn't have the unique vocal sensibilities for it, and thus his tone and everything sounds like crap paired with AC/DC's music. And I can confirm they're enjoying themselves, I caught them when they came through my city this year and Brian looked like he was having the time of his life, very jovial mood.

Didn't hear about Paul either, hope all is as well as can be. And I also hope Anthony Kiedis' problems are not drug related, he is a great frontman, and also proven to be a great addict over the years :(

Paul looked decidedly average generally in photos I've seen of him recently. Very out of shape and not a healthy chap.

Yeah, Paul hasn't exactly been kind to himself lately. Damn shame, because he's still cranking out good stuff musically.