music school advice

ultimatemetaldude

New Metal Member
Mar 30, 2005
hey everyone, im currently looking at some music schools to study guitar at,and a lot of people have mentioned the musician's institute as being one of the best in the country...i read up on it and seems like a really cool place and you get to meet a lot of awesome people, i'm wondering if anyone here has gone there or knows some more about it? thanks!

well. if you have an unlimited pocket book, and dont mind pretentious assholes, i would apply to the san fransisco conservatory. i was working on a package (composition major) to send to them before i enlisted. they offer a guitar program. however it is for classical guitar only. ive heard some amazing musicians come from their. i saw one of their guitar alumni perform and he was absolutly brilliant

food for thought
~gR~

everyone i talk to mentions berklee all the time, but that seems rather traditional, i'd like to go out to the west coast and experience something along the lines of the MI... they're having a weeklong workshop at the end of june... seems like it could be a cool way to check out the school... what do u think?

where is MI. being that im from the west coast i can tell ya, the education is prolly still gonna be traditional. however life outside of campus is very wierd
~gR~

ultimatemetaldude said:
everyone i talk to mentions berklee all the time, but that seems rather traditional, i'd like to go out to the west coast and experience something along the lines of the MI... they're having a weeklong workshop at the end of june... seems like it could be a cool way to check out the school... what do u think?

......what do you mean by traditional? In terms of music? I think their big thing is Jazz, but Steve Vai and John Petrucci went there, as well as a ton of famous jazz people. (Al DiMeola, Pat Methany....etc.)

Anyway, here's a great article about GIT (MI) from someone who went there:

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/article/156

go to the seminar and check it out.. best way but berklee does everything as well... not just metal.. but MIT is very good from people i know who went there in the past... either one is good... visit both and see..

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
go to the seminar and check it out.. best way but berklee does everything as well... not just metal.. but MIT is very good from people i know who went there in the past... either one is good... visit both and see..

yeah, i keep hearing that it is really between those two... a lot of people have been saying that you have more opportunities to meet better contacts at Musician's Institute though, which seems like an important detail i think...

Hey all, this isent really on subject but i was wondering if anybody knew how to do those screaming slides that zach wyld, dime and bodem peeps do cause ive been trrying to figure it out for a wile now

i don't want to offend anybody, but i don't think the mason gross school is quite on the same level as the musician's institute from what i can tell...MI has pretty heavy industry contacts.

are u trying to get a degree? in music?

44803.jpg

^ band up there kicks ass ^

-christian :headbang:

yes, music or music industry related stuff... u know anything about MI? i keep hearing good things from a lot of people i talk to...

yes, berklee is great. I have recently started berklee books under my music tutor and i am finding them brillient. so going to the acctual school you should go for it. even if you are a metal guitarist learning jazz and taking techniques from jazz and bringing them back to metal sounds amazing

hey guys, just checking in... has anyone had a chance to check out the MI website www.mi.edu ...the programs seem pretty complete as described on there, what do you guys think of them? let me know when you have a moment, thanks!

enslaved_nightmare said:
yes, berklee is great. I have recently started berklee books under my music tutor and i am finding them brillient. so going to the acctual school you should go for it. even if you are a metal guitarist learning jazz and taking techniques from jazz and bringing them back to metal sounds amazing
Except that you can study metal at Berklee.