REAPER. Some advice please.

MattGrave

Jun 2, 2012
Hey dudes,

I know a lot of you use Reaper here and everyone Ive read seems very keen on it.

I'm a quite competent Pro Tools user and have a lot of experience editing drums etc. What I'm wondering is how Reaper compares to PT in terms of efficient workflow and ease of use.

If there's any advice you can throw my way I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

If you've been editing drums in PT for a while then here's a vid on reaper to get you started.

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3YsWickhRk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3YsWickhRk[/ame]

Look at the guy's channel, it's full of useful tuts to help you get the hang of reaper. A quite powerful DAW if you ask me.

With Reaper the ease of use is almost dependant on you, when you get into customizing it and making your own macro's, button and short-cuts it really comes into it's own, you set it up however YOU want, so you can go crazy setting up purely drum editing short-cuts and whatnot.

I can't go back to Poo Tools even if I wanted to (which I really don't)

I think the thing might be wether the fact you're a competent user of PT is due to the fact you usually work in a PT environment, in different studios etc. You might find that the lack of standardization with Reaper, the fact it evolves constantly, could be a problem for you. The good thing with PT would be that wherever you are, PT is PT. While reaper is a different bird. Otherwise, on a personal level of interest, it can easily give you more IMO.

I think the thing might be wether the fact you're a competent user of PT is due to the fact you usually work in a PT environment, in different studios etc. You might find that the lack of standardization with Reaper, the fact it evolves constantly, could be a problem for you. The good thing with PT would be that wherever you are, PT is PT. While reaper is a different bird. Otherwise, on a personal level of interest, it can easily give you more IMO.

Put it on an USB drive and your REAPER will be with you everywhere. :)

I do all of my work out of the same studio, so the system here is what I'm used to. There's always going to be a PT system here, so I'm more than happy to record in PT and edit/mix in Reaper if that is going to be a more efficient way of working.

For those of you who have switched, what is it that Reaper has done for your work that keeps you away from Pro Tools?

I personally switched over from Cubase to Reaper, not PT.

The biggest difference I noticed immediately was the ease of workflow when it came to tracking and editing. I'm sure that in both PT and Cubase you can probably customize your settings to work similarly to the Reaper defaults, but as far as default preferences go Reaper is an absolute breeze.

One thing, however, is that I'm honestly thinking of switching back to Cubase (or perhaps even PT) for the mixing and mastering part of the studio process. Reaper is pretty simple when it comes to the basic mixing stuff like adding EQ's / Compressors / etc, but when you have to start routing hardware I/O's, sends, returns, or if you work with Rewire for something like Reason, Cubase is a lot more logical. Again, this is just my personal opinion based on what determines a comfortable workflow for me. It could be something totally different for you.

I personally switched over from Cubase to Reaper, not PT.

The biggest difference I noticed immediately was the ease of workflow when it came to tracking and editing. I'm sure that in both PT and Cubase you can probably customize your settings to work similarly to the Reaper defaults, but as far as default preferences go Reaper is an absolute breeze.

One thing, however, is that I'm honestly thinking of switching back to Cubase (or perhaps even PT) for the mixing and mastering part of the studio process. Reaper is pretty simple when it comes to the basic mixing stuff like adding EQ's / Compressors / etc, but when you have to start routing hardware I/O's, sends, returns, or if you work with Rewire for something like Reason, Cubase is a lot more logical. Again, this is just my personal opinion based on what determines a comfortable workflow for me. It could be something totally different for you.

I always found routing to be really easy in Reaper - automation I find is its weak point and even that is easy to learn.