Need some reassurance - my first TRACKING session with Pro Tools HD

nwright

Apr 19, 2005
New Castle, Indiana
www.myspace.com
So on Tuesday I will be doing my first ever session on Pro Tools HD. We will be tracking drums for my band's next CD. I am a Cubase 5 user (Nuendo 2 prior to that), and I have PT experience, but it's been about 8 years since I did any PT tracking. I've not jumped into reading up on PT other than what I read here, so am I in for big surprises in terms of raw tracking? I'll be overseen by the studio owner for PT help. I'm nervous, but at the same time I don't think that tracking in PT will be that different from tracking in Cubase...No mixing, and no editing to begin with, just recording. Eventually these tracks will be mixed in Cubase, so my only concern right now is tracking...Any advice?

If you have someone who will monitoring the whole thins you dont have nothing to worry about. Its not that different to cubase.

Just add a couple of mono/stereo tracks and assign them to the right input and your set to go.
CHeers

It's the Music Garage, Chris.

http://mymusicgarage.com/recordingstudio.html

Too bad we have to do it this week...According to the owner, he has Lynx converters, Dangerous monitor and summing, 4 Neve 1073's and an API bus comp all coming in in the next week or so.

We're just tracking drums, so I hope it'll be a good learning experience. We've got 20 hours scheduled right now for 2 days, so I'm hoping that allows time to get some good tones (and actually track 9-10 songs on drums).

measure twice cut once - double check your in's and out's

save save save just incase

dont clip your vu's

make sure your recording in 24 / 32 bit

bring tea... nothing beats a good ould cuppa brew whilst tracking

tracking in PT isn't all that rigorous...not more so than any other DAW

i'm sure you'll be alright with the whole thing :kickass: