Pro tools and tracking

krokit

Noisey B*****d
Dec 5, 2005
London
Just finished tracking 6 songs with a wicked metal band in PT LE. All went very well, BUT......in retrospect could I have made life easier for myself?? o_O

I decided to track all 6 songs in the same PT session rather than use a new session for each song. (I used Logic for years!) By doing it this way I reasoned that futher down the line it would make the mixing process much easier by having all the songs side by side, rather than mix each song seperately in its own session. We did maybe 3 or 4 takes of each song.

When it came to drop ins and overdubs say for bass, I would usually use the tracklist but the bass track contains ALL the other bass tracks for all the other songs as well obviously, so I used a new track. ???

This was the general pattern I used for overdubbing gtrs/vox ect.

So: Would I have made life easier for myself by recording each new song to a new session? If I did do it this way, should I have used a new tracklist for each take rather than record each take side by side?

If each song was recorded to a new session what about mixing. Do you mix each song seperately, or do you import each song into one new session so each song is side by side?

Dont get me wrong the session went very well and the band loved the result, but Im just wondering if I could have made life a lot easier for myself :zombie:

I would love to hear from the PT guru's how I can streamline my workflow and avoid my hair turning prematurly white :cry:

Respect :kickass:

I don't use protools myself, but when my band and I did our CD, our producer was able to make a new session for each song and import settings/plugins/etc from previous projects. Seems like that would make things easier?

IMOP life would have been better for you had you done each song in its own session. but in the future do yourself a favor, on a day you have nothing to do make yourself a couple of session templates and name them names like Metal 1 or Metal 2. Save them with your track list and favorite plug ins. that way when you start a new project you'll only have to ad a track here or delete a track there according to what band comes in.