PT HD Users

coldthrn

Chris Cauthen
Jul 9, 2007
soundcloud.com
I don't know how I got myself into this, however. A local "solo" artist was interested in recording an album, I offered to do the job however the individual was put off that I have a home studio and that I use Cubase. Nevermind that I have the quality preamps and the capability to record at 192khz. They wanted to go to a establish Studio that has ProTools HD. They spent a small fortune and didnt get it mix nor vocals on it. They have the original hard drive with the HD files on it and want to finish up doing it themselves in PT LE on their windows machine. As you know LE cant read HD files so I wrote the studio to bounce the stems "if it was mixed" at 44.1 so they can do something with it.

The studio said
"We only work with HD3Accel. I do not do any work in PT LE. I will check with the local college that teaches PT and see whether there is someone there who may assist with this.
Another matter: these songs have NOT been mixed. Therefore, you must have all tracks and take it from there."

And my question.
Is there anyway in PT HD just to save it as PT LE compatible ? I know it would have to down sample to 44.1k from his 96k but you would think digidesign would have a way to do this easily inside the session. I hope the client feels the sting of an empty wallet now. Yes PT HD is really nice however with idiots behind the wheal of this rig, it tends to fry my innards. :mad: Ohh yea and to make things worse the guy that has the HD rig won the lotto and that is how he got his gear.

Much thanks.

Why not just ask for all the tracks consolidated from zero?
Each one bounced out starting frm the very start? this way they can be used in absolutely any Daw. I've bounced out tracks from protolls Hd like this.
Also are you sure you can't use then hd files in Le? In my college i've tracked stuff in hd and brought them to the colleges LE editing suites for cleaning up and additional work and had no problem opening them- they were compatible both ways between LE and HD. The only issue is plug-ins, if you try apply one thats one one machine and not on the other when you try open it up on the machine that doesn't have it there's problems

I could ask for all the track to be consolidated from zero but dont you have to bounce them individually? If so Im sure that would take more effort than what the studio owner would want to put into this. Also the HD system he recorded at was a sample rate for 96k. I dont think the mbox will not recognize that sample rate. I think the highest it goes is 48k, if im not mistaken.

I've never went higher than 96 in HD [3, i think], but I got home and had no problems (other than plugs) in opening the files [pt le 7.3].
Cleaned them up, then transferred them into logic.

its not too much effort to transfer the files either...
highlight all the regions, press alt+shift+3, then apple+shift++k

DONE,
bloke sounds like a douche

Yea, I wouldn't ether. In fact I don't see why you would 96k. 48k suits me just fine.... But I digress this has already been covered in other posts.

Have them do a Save Copy In... Burn to DVD's or FTP, whatever. Create a new session and use the Import Session Data option, it'll convert the audio files to your session's sample rate.

Yea, I wouldn't ether. In fact I don't see why you would 96k. 48k suits me just fine.... But I digress this has already been covered in other posts.

Dude...your avatar is really creeping the fuck out of me, and not in a good way; I'd ask you to change it, but of course you have no reason to, so I guess I'll suck it up. What is it, anyway?

Its my dog.... lol no it is Richard James of Aphex Twin. Yea it shocked me too. Had to change it from my two wires avatar. Had to have a change of pace, Richard is notorious for disturbing things. . Creepy ass stuff... Gotta Love it though.

Last edited by a moderator: