How do you mix in PT LE?

Feb 17, 2006
Hi everybody!
Just thinking about migrating to PT, i'm on a budget so HD seems to be unreal thing. So the question is to you, who mix in PT LE. How do you do that? Is it comfortable? How do you compensate all the latencies etc. Is it worth having a deal with it after all? I saw user Ermz works in LE here, he posted some insane drum editing screenshot some time ago :)
I'm on MAC running logic right now, but I don't need all this composing midi shit and loops etc. I just need to work with audio multitrack recordings and some simple midi concerning trigger signals. and I realy experience lack of audio editing tools in Logic. It was much more comfortable to edit and quantize audio even in Nuendo when I was in PC.

How do you mix in PT LE?
that question's not too broad is it? :)

I record, edit and mix primarily with PT M-powered (on PC).
Compensating for latency-a lot of people make this out to be some horrible thing, most of the plugins I use in a mix (and there are a lot) do not have ANY latency, the ones that do are on the master. When I go out of the box to use my space echo or other effects, I print the returns to new tracks.

I just need to work with audio multitrack recordings and some simple midi concerning trigger signals
Nothing wrong with Logic for this purpose

Mix in PT....you mix in PT like every other daw. There are faders, inserts, sends, etc... but I think it's more intuitive in many aspects.

AudioGeekZine, if you have latency in the master bus, it doesn't matter (if you don't know it already :) )

This is NOT @how do mix drums@ thread freaks! I'm asking this because it has an important things to consider about. All these limitations in PT LE, how they effect on your worflow if they do. Is it worth thinking about migrating to PT LE from Logic?

Oh yeah, I realy have nothing more to do moving tracks forward and backward every time I change plug-in )) But MellowMuse ATA seems to be a good solution.

This is NOT @how do mix drums@ thread freaks! I'm asking this because it has an important things to consider about. All these limitations in PT LE, how they effect on your worflow if they do. Is it worth thinking about migrating to PT LE from Logic?

Oh yeah, I realy have nothing more to do moving tracks forward and backward every time I change plug-in )) But MellowMuse ATA seems to be a good solution.

I tried ATA and I don't like it. Delay detection isn't reliable. Before final mix I am moving wave tracks manually in LE according delay samples if needed.

I tried ATA and I don't like it. Delay detection isn't reliable. Before final mix I am moving wave tracks manually in LE according delay samples if needed.

Then what happens if you have an aux send with a delay or something on it that has some latency? Can't nudge aux tracks :mad:

That is what I was talking about. I usually have about 9-10 send fx - reverbs, delays etc. I have to think about all their delays + I have all that plugins that need their delays to be compensated. This is so annoying... any other primitive DAW has internal delay compensation, and PT LE is the only one that does not have it. Oh, but they are marching on... 48 tracks will be enough for you to mix... F**k you, every other DAW has almost unlimited track count and I don't know about your sessions but mine take about 64-76 real audio tracks in avarage.

I've never had any issues with latency during mixing, largely due to the fact that like AudioGeekZine, I don't use any plugs with serious latency either. And everything I aux to is the same way...delays have no latency at all (at least in my experience), and if a reverb does, it has never been noticeable because it's 100% wet reverb on the aux!

I tried the demos, but the noise got too much so I couldn't actually hear the difference. Did you get it working ok? I thought it was a pretty fiddly and not very user friendly.

It seemed very finiky and the laws they set forth in the way to use it IMO sucks.

However slap vintage warmer on one of the snare mics and you can hear a difference as to if it's working or not (that plug has audible latency :puke:).

Hi everybody!
Just thinking about migrating to PT, i'm on a budget so HD seems to be unreal thing. So the question is to you, who mix in PT LE. How do you do that? Is it comfortable? How do you compensate all the latencies etc. Is it worth having a deal with it after all? I saw user Ermz works in LE here, he posted some insane drum editing screenshot some time ago :)
I'm on MAC running logic right now, but I don't need all this composing midi shit and loops etc. I just need to work with audio multitrack recordings and some simple midi concerning trigger signals. and I realy experience lack of audio editing tools in Logic. It was much more comfortable to edit and quantize audio even in Nuendo when I was in PC.

Hey man,

I don't actually mix in LE. I'm not that brave :). I only use it for editing, guide tracks and transferring between studios.

For mixing I currently use Cubase, but will look forward to switching over to Studio One or Reaper at some point in the near future. Personally I'd grab a copy of Reaper for free and mix on that over using LE. The drawbacks impact on workflow too much IMO.

Then what happens if you have an aux send with a delay or something on it that has some latency? Can't nudge aux tracks :mad:

For AUX tracks I am using Time adjuster. It's very important if you have AUX parallel drum compression. There few samples doing phase effects on cymbals. Many plugins have short sample delays between 0-30 and another have RTAS plugin delay compensation for example OZONE 4.