Music theory and staff paper

Staff paper sheets?

Microsoft Paint! :Smug:

Seriously, that and my Rapidesign Rapid-Composer R-1200 music stencil.

Print up a couple of sheets and take 'em to work.

I is teh n00b epics when it comes to theory.

I'm surprised I passed this up. I liked the charts you posted Ozz. I need to start practicing this shit. I need to stop just playing guitar to learn songs, practice techniques, & improvise; i need to start appying more theoretical shit to guitar. I do know a bit of theory, but I literally do not know how to apply it to the instrument.

Well, if it's in the key of G, the G major, D mixolydian, A dorian and C lydian scale would all sound good over a chord progression such as that.

Research 'modes of the major scale'

Don't those modes contain the same exact notes of the G Major scale?? That what it sounds like you were hinting at. I just can never remember the order of the modes of the major scale.

So if a song is in the key of A you can play B Dorian right because it contains the same notes as the A Magor scale?? What would make it a B Dorian instead of an A Magor scale?? It doesn't have anything to do with the note you start on, does it??

B dorian is the second mode of the major scale. It's all the notes on the A major scale starting on B (the second degree (note) of the major scale)

B Dorian = A major scale with a different start note basically

It often helps to play over certain chord progressions and not others in order to get the unique sound of a given mode. So instead of running through the E phrygian mode over a standard progression in A minor, e.g. Amin, Dmin, E (or Emin), Amin, it would be better to play over a chord progression such as E, F, G, F, E.

Wouldn't E Phrygian be out of key in the second progression?

Uhh, sort of. I should've said E phrygian dominant, which would be: E, F, G#, A, B, C, D

E phrygian would be the same as above except with a G natural not a G#, so that wouldn't quite match up with an E major chord.

hey where are those pic char provided by THE OZZMAN.

Can anyone tell me on chord progression? Say my composition's first chord is C major......now which chord i can use and how to find them? not only major, minor chords but all other chords like major 7th, minor 7th, 7th, etc. Is there any chart for it. can ayone give name of site taht can easily teac me aboutt it.

Need help. Thanks.