Music Theory guys... help me come up with clean guitar part?

JayB

Oct 10, 2009
open.spotify.com
Hey guys, I had an idea to put a bit of clean guitar, just something simple, in this song right when the held out guitar chords come in at around 2 minutes in this clip:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2354806/Contagion (Instrumental Mix).mp3

Problem is I've never really written anything acoustic. The song is in Drop C, but I couldn't even tell you what key etc that part is in (I'm terrible with understanding music theory). Does anyone know of perhaps a site that can help me figure out what notes I can play over this part? I'm just looking to do something really simple that just adds a bit, kind of like this Killswitch bit

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as always! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
@ 2 min the chords are
Bbm -> Gb -> Db -> Ab.
Bbm is the relative minor chord here, therefore that part is in the Key of Db.

Since you have detuned 2 frets and a dropped a string you have to counter that by moving the key 2 half steps higher to remain in the same actual key. That means you shall choose notes to your clean part that are within the key of Eb major.

Reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relative_minor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_(music)

I'm really rusty at this, its been a while since i've studied music theory but i can tell you that everything is is C minor signature hence its in drop C tuning. If you know you're C minor scale you can easily play this by practicing appregios. Basically, it starts from a high position and goes into a lower position. Starts off Minor, than Major, Major again, and Minor (you can hear it in the tone sad-happy-happy-sad). Study your chord progressions and how different positions require either major or minor. then practice playing appregios, then change it up with different inversions and positions and you could easily play this and learn how to write like this.

Thanks for all the tips guys! For some reason I wasn't notified by email of the new replies. I came up with a clean part before I read any of this, I'll post it here in a bit and you guys can let me know if it sounds right or not.

Hey guys, need some help with this. So, this is the same clip, with a clean guitar part written by Charlie E. which I really liked. After the first few bars, a guitar solo comes in from my brother. Something sounds off about it, like I guess some of it's not in the right scale or something, but when I bring stuff up like this he always gets all pissed and like "well why don't you just write something better, I'm done recording" etc etc. So in this clip, can you guys tell me what exactly is off about his solo? I'd really just like to know if the part is not fitting quite right, because that's what my ears are telling me, but I don't know how good my ears are for stuff like this yet.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2354806/Volharding Public/Contagion 7 30 Mix new clean part.mp3

^ that solo sounds blues-y. I don't think its bad. Anyways here is C minor scale in case you don't already have it or know it. Drop C guitar.
Minor.jpg

As you can see even that Killswitch song fits in there.

^ that solo sounds blues-y. I don't think its bad. Anyways here is C minor scale in case you don't already have it or know it. Drop C guitar.
Minor.jpg

As you can see even that Killswitch song fits in there.

Thanks, after listening to it again with more gain,I guess it isn't too bad. I'm really trying to wrap my head more around this stuff so I have more confidence in writing... so how did you determine that the C minor scale is best for this part?

And yeah I have like Guitar Pro 6 which can tell you any scale, but the hardest thing for me is determining what scale should be used for any given part, since there's like 10,000 scales...

One more thing, a bit off topic, but how much gain are you guys normally using for solos with amp sims? I'm using the Nick Crow 8505 lead sim, and for that solo I now have the drive AND power cranked all the way up to max.... is that normal? Or should I be trying to just add more delay to it? I tried that but it just got kind of muddy.

Well usually you only use one scale, I mean thats the key the song is in. Majority of metal uses the Minor scale (natural and harmonic minor). Both As I lay dying and Killswitch Engage or notorious for using the C minor scale. Harmonic minor if you want to talk Black Dahlia murder. How do you determine what scale should be used? Well you yourself are the writer, you decide. But like I said usually most bands stick to one scale during the whole song, just different variations and patterns of the same scale. I think you're thinking too much into it. Writing and playing music should be able having fun not about making sure every thing is spot on.

Well usually you only use one scale, I mean thats the key the song is in. Majority of metal uses the Minor scale (natural and harmonic minor). Both As I lay dying and Killswitch Engage or notorious for using the C minor scale. Harmonic minor if you want to talk Black Dahlia murder. How do you determine what scale should be used? Well you yourself are the writer, you decide. But like I said usually most bands stick to one scale during the whole song, just different variations and patterns of the same scale. I think you're thinking too much into it. Writing and playing music should be able having fun not about making sure every thing is spot on.

You make a good point, and I do try not to overthink it, but sometimes I feel like all the music theory is there for a reason and I should be learning more about it, even just to help me come up with cool stuff easier. So, what you're saying, is since the song is in Drop C, C minor works best for most of the stuff in the song? I love Killswitch and AILD so if that is true, I'll definitely stick to that for most of my stuff in the future.

You make a good point, and I do try not to overthink it, but sometimes I feel like all the music theory is there for a reason and I should be learning more about it, even just to help me come up with cool stuff easier. So, what you're saying, is since the song is in Drop C, C minor works best for most of the stuff in the song? I love Killswitch and AILD so if that is true, I'll definitely stick to that for most of my stuff in the future.

Works best? Thats subjective. But yes, when I was younger I used to load up GUITAR PRO with the C MINOR SCALE notes on. I'd load up Killswitch, As I lay dying, Darkest Hour, (I believe system of a down) and other bands similar to them and I'd be amazed that their content stayed within the C minor scale just about 99% of the time hence they're all in Drop C. Since Slipknot and Mudvayne were in Drop B during those days they played in B Minor. Black dahlia murder tunes standard C they play in C Harmonic Minor. I'm sure you catch my drift. But yes If you are in Drop C, I'd definitely play Natural or Harmonic Minor.