music videos- yes or no???

Diabolik

Sep 30, 2005
Chicago,IL
www.facebook.com
I was reading today the Sacred Oath were making another music video. Thier last one was played on Headbangers Ball a few years back. Like the rest of the metal world....I am sure no saw it when it aired and also who are Sacred Oath ( for most metal fans ). For a band that has been around for ages and has very little exposure....is spending the money on videos worth it? Who still gets excited to see music videos unless you are going to go all out. Not that any of the music stations play videos anymore....most just end up as extras if the band puts out a DVD, put on youtube, or slapped on one of the many dvd compilations that are out there who again dont sell very well.

Myself, I am a fan of music videos but most are not good. In this day and age I think a band like Sacred Oath would be better off spending the money on getting on a small tour or something. That would get thier name out more than spending thousands of dollars on a video, unless one of the members works in video production and they get it for free or a huge deal.

When was the last time anyone said....did you see the new video by this band? Back in the 80's it was commonly said because that was really the only way to see bands sometimes. But in this day and age bands have live shows up on youtube so seeing bands that dont really tour much isnt a hard thing to see now a days.

Curious to see if anyone else feels the same....

It's a risky proposition in today's time. I would say most bands should stay away from it, unless they already have a plan in place to really market the video on their label's website, youtube, etc. For example, I think Accept's video last year for Teutonic Terror helped significantly for their comeback. However, for a band as under the radar as Sacred Oath amongst many other bands I would say it isn't worth it unless like I said, they have a plan in place for people to actually see the thing.

how did Accepts video help? curious. I didnt even know they had a video out for the song. Where was the video shown that newer metal fans could see it.....or even old ones for that matter.

how did Accepts video help? curious. I didnt even know they had a video out for the song. Where was the video shown that newer metal fans could see it.....or even old ones for that matter.

It was posted in a lot of metal news sites and forums as well as Nuclear Blast's site and such. I think it did help tremendously as they had a new singer and most people didn't know exactly how it would work out. Though I know you're not the best one to say it to as you don't like Accept to begin with, so you'll probably take it with a grain of salt. :lol: I was more or less just stating an example, but I do think it was a rare case in it helping.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=req-oDf2ZRc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=req-oDf2ZRc[/ame]

Well, I agree while it is a major expense, it could help alot actually.

Look at the new HELL video. A lot of people took note of their look and image from the one Nuc Blast just put out.

If you go check out a band on YOUTUBE, always more interesting to see a video, than just audio over the album cover.

I mean, the problem is originality, as most videos do suck.

Though coming up in the 80s, my first exposure to many bands I love was from video.

Well, I agree while it is a major expense, it could help alot actually.

Look at the new HELL video. A lot of people took note of their look and image from the one Nuc Blast just put out.

If you go check out a band on YOUTUBE, always more interesting to see a video, than just audio over the album cover.

I mean, the problem is originality, as most videos do suck.

Though coming up in the 80s, my first exposure to many bands I love was from video.

Very true. I think the video for Hell definitely helped.

As you mention, when you were coming up that your exposure to videos in the 80s helped, I think it's probably very similar now, where videos can probably help a lot in terms of getting younger fans, whereas a lot of the older fans probably don't care as much. The main problem though is what you said, videos nowadays tend to suck for the most part.

both of these example are some what true but they were only posted in forums....where have you seen these videos played otherwise????

Like I said...I love videos but when I see bands who are very small spending money on a video it drives me crazy because it seems like money just tossed away. Use that money to do a few weekend tours or something.

Bob - Most labels have an official YOUTUBE channel where all their videos are posted.
So, while you may have seen the videos on a forum, others may have seen it from going to the label's site, or the bands site.

Sure, its not as instant of exposure as back in the day with Headbangers Ball, but if done right, a video could virally gain a lot of exposure in a short period of time.

Labels are probably spending less advertising dollars than ever considering there are so few print ads done these days.
This will free up some resources for videos if they feel necessary.

I like them, if done right, and at least somewhat original (IE - not just playing in a warehouse)

both of these example are some what true but they were only posted in forums....where have you seen these videos played otherwise????

Like I said...I love videos but when I see bands who are very small spending money on a video it drives me crazy because it seems like money just tossed away. Use that money to do a few weekend tours or something.

Read my response again, Bob. I specified more than just forums. Labels and Youtube help quite a bit. It is a financial risk, certainly but some videos get enough views that it does become worth it.

I'm a fan of the music video format .. check them out regularly on Youtube. Directv has now added youtube capabilty .. if you've got an internet connection you can now get setup to watch youtube videos on your tv. The quality isn't always the greatest, but it gets the job done. There's also a lot of dvd/dvr players out there that have youtube capabilty built in. Youtube is quite the deal .. I find myself going there regularly to hunt down music stuff.

Britt

Same here Britt, esp on my phone.
Lots of times if I am out and about killing time, I will watch YOUTUBE vids as a means to check out bands.

Maybe someday MTV or VH1 will get their act together and truly dedicate broadcast time to music again.

I'm a fan of the music video format .. check them out regularly on Youtube. Directv has now added youtube capabilty .. if you've got an internet connection you can now get setup to watch youtube videos on your tv. The quality isn't always the greatest, but it gets the job done. There's also a lot of dvd/dvr players out there that have youtube capabilty built in. Youtube is quite the deal .. I find myself going there regularly to hunt down music stuff.

Britt

Yeah it used to be Myspace that I used for hunting music down. Now it's Youtube. The nice thing about Youtube (though I can imagine a lot of bands hating it) is you can pretty much find any track from any artist you're interested in. That's what I use it for more than just the actual videos. Though, the videos do help too.

Yeah it used to be Myspace that I used for hunting music down. Now it's Youtube. The nice thing about Youtube (though I can imagine a lot of bands hating it) is you can pretty much find any track from any artist you're interested in. That's what I use it for more than just the actual videos. Though, the videos do help too.

I do the same thing...that is why my head spins on the PP forum when people are shocked by Firebreaths postings of youtube clips.....it isnt hard to find stuff. Plus when people say they just discovered a band that is pretty known cracks me up....it is like, "have you ever just surfed youtube for a while?"

I do the same thing...that is why my head spins on the PP forum when people are shocked by Firebreaths postings of youtube clips.....it isnt hard to find stuff. Plus when people say they just discovered a band that is pretty known cracks me up....it is like, "have you ever just surfed youtube for a while?"

Eh. I think you're judging too much on that assessment. Not everyone has the time to go search. Having someone post it right there for you is just easier. However, it's not like he's doing God's work either. :lol:

Jason beat me to the VoiVod one....that is one of my favorite videos actually.

Never saw that video until now but I love it. It goes to show that you can have a video that is purely performance and have it be fantastic. All that shit was filmed via performance. They just went crazy with editing techniques...but it worked and was probably really cheap to do. I especially love that first minute and a half.