Music you used to listen to and now you cringe that you used to listen to it?

But again that falls back to ... ??? .... say Miles Davis ? Frank Zappa ? , just off the wall shit because they were having fun or experimenting. Or do we need to reach back to classical ?(which I grant you had the flow, they used to torture people in those days that seemed a bit off the hook)

Then what you are saying about doing odd measure for the sheer fact of it could be said about gurgling into a microphone because its the statis quo of current "sickness" ... amiright?

I do know what your saying about forced movements, I struggle not to force stuff sometimes myself. But here it seemed some were saying odd measures is THE problem. Whatever, its just progressive music to me, theres many forms of it, from DT to SX to Threshold to Opeth to Porcupine Tree. I just cant sweat a genre that still produces good bands and music. I also understand to some degree multiple personalities or at least moods, random stuff can make sense to me.

just to clarify my comment, i wasn't saying time shifts and proggy stuff is bad, just that they don't make something good necessarily. like the verses in the serpent's kiss - that is a good way of using a 5/4 time signature, because it builds more tension than an even number would. but honestly i see bands like dream theater and opeth that i have trouble getting into because overall feeling is sacrificed for the sake of pointless changes. i would much rather listen to say, a running wild song that only has a few chords, a couple riffs, a good solo and a chorus because thy could pull of simple, fast music well and with a focused feeling, whereas imo DT right now is not doing great with proggy music.

I think a great case in point would be Behold The Arctopus, dont get me wrong, these guys are great musos but sometimes it seems a bit of a wankathon without much structure. I do like some structure in my prog and good melodies but i'm not really a fan of music for the sake of music.

My first ever post on this forum!!! Huray!
--------------------------------------------------

Dream Theater - Post 2003 - Post Train of Thought, to be more precise.

It's been a long time, and also very hard, to accept that a group of musicians with this caliber, and with so many proven track records of masterful music recording, would lead themselves into this awful mess of crap music....

Yes, I'm talking about Octavirum and Systematic Chaos. Cause nothing can be further than the truth that some of DT's hardcore followers can see. It is that, DT has always been about doing it in their own way and ONLY WHEN THEY DESIRE!.

Sadly, it doesn't seem like it has been the case with their last two releases and I can't see the next one to be any different...

Oh well.. I guess, i'll just move on...

Listening to Agalloch now by the way.... truly good musicianship by the way..

:Smokin: :headbang:

Yeah, I agree Most ProgMetal sucks..The only bands I like from the genre are Symphony X and Dream Theater.

Hammerfall - omg are they bad...I used to like 'em in high school, Legacy of Kings is still decent though.
Mystic Prophecy - BARF WORTHY
Epica - Just awful and boring..Hot girl's can't save bands..
Lacuna Coil - Used to like 'em, they've gone down hill fast.
Still Remains - Typical metalcore with emo choruses, I used to like the first album..ew
Metallica's LOAD/RELOAD..When they came out i was 8 and I enjoyed them...Love Metallica but I was young and stupid.
Death Magnetic rules!

Fear Factory...mostly all of it. It got me into modern metal (at the time I was listening to bands like Van Halen & Iron Maiden)

metallica
ok the early songs are not bad but i liked kirk hammet's playing. srsly wtf was wrong with me

acdc
i just can't listen to their crappy guitar sound and donald duck vocals anymore, they are one of the most overrated rock bands IMO

alice cooper lol

Nirvana...
I have no shame of my musical taste, even if there is anything that i don't like anymore i still have something that i like about which is the memories of the times I spent listening to a particular album or song.
Anathema, I still like them in a way but i don't WANT to listen to them cause they remind me of probably the worst time in my life ever.

metallica
ok the early songs are not bad but i liked kirk hammet's playing. srsly wtf was wrong with me
Dude, old metallica's legit. I still give those first 4 records a spin quite often. Nothing to cringe about there.

I used to think the same about AC/DC, but then I lightened up. AC/DC is all about having fun.

Old Cooper is great

Never understood Hammet solos much, theres been some good ones I guess