Musical Tastes

I listen to Prog Rock, Prog Metal, Techno, Jazz, Blues, Classical, Neo-classical, Punk, and just about every type of metal. But I dont really like rap to much but there is some that's not that horrible, my favorite rap type song would be Master of Disguise by Arcturus. But it's like rap metal.

I mostly listen to Prog Rock(King Crimson, Pink Floyd) Classic Rock(Hendrix, Beatles) Metal(everything from Korn-Opeth-Black Sabbath) Singer Songwriters(Bob Dylan, Tori Amos) Goth (Miranda Sex Garden, Dead Can Dance) Rap(Snoop Dogg, Eminem) Regea(Bob Marley, Back Uhuru) Aleternative Rock(Smashing Pumpkins, RHCP) and some other stuff on the side. Hoping to get into classical music now that the library reopend & I can get them all for free.

Mostly metal but I listen to almost everything! =)

Metal: Opeth ;P, Morbid Angel, Visceral Bleeding, Helloween, Cannibal Corpse, Quo Vadis, Arch Enemy, Malevolent Creation, The Forsaken, My Dying Bride, Evergrey, Iron Maiden etc.

I am not so much into the NU-Metal genre though, like Slipknot etc. I can listen to it but I am not a fan...

Other: Joe Satriani, Mark Knopfler, Blackmore´s Night, Bruce Springsteen, A lot of classical (Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, Wagner), A lot of Reggae (Black Uhuru, Marley, Yellowman, Peter Tosh, Dennis Brown etc)

Well... I´ll stop there! I probably could go on all nigt! JUST LOVE MUSIC! ;P

I am very picky and very psychotic when it comes to music. I mainly like extreme metal that is also at least bit melodic.

Originally posted by [KOTNO]Narrot
and i downloaded a goa song...it'S weird...haha....but it could be the hell on drugs!

G"oa Trance: Psychedelic Trance, almost the same thing as Psytrance, but tends to have a more spiritual feeling. Adds an even more trippy psychedelic feel to trance, plus some middle-eastern and south-asian influences. Name comes from Goa, a resort town on the west coast of India, a popular attraction for European tourists, where it was popularized; most of the music itself comes from the UK. Goa Trance is most often distributed on DAT or MP3; this tradition is supposed to have started because vinyl would melt in the hot temperatures in Goa. Goa tends to make use of a more diverse range of beats than other styles of trance, and tends to frequently forgoe any sense of melody, favouring instead a more cacophonous feeling. This last part also applies somewhat to psytrance. There are Goa DJs and Psytrance DJs who will swear to the ends of the earth that Goa and Psytrance are exactly the same thing, and there are others who spin either or both who maintain with equal fervour that any fool who's never heard electronic music before could tell the two apart.."

A bit late, but hey ;) From this great site I just found :)

http://www.dneproductions.com/frames/genre_tree.html

Did you try any Cure?

My music collection includes everything from classical to black metal, except for rap and country music. and i do mean everything: from medieval chanting to baroque to Gerschwin to Bing Crosby and Sinatra, etc.. you get the idea. I dig metal the most, though, which is why i'm here. i'm a DJ for hire part time which is why my collection has to vary so widely (i have access to country and rap when i NEED it, just can't own any..)

-iz

Most of the music I listen to is from before 1982. After that I only really listen to metal, Dead Can Dance & Hedningarna (a Swedish/Finnish folk band).
Probably the stuff I'm most into now is Lee Hazlewood and John Barry.
Lee Hazlewood is the guy who wrote "These boots are made for walking", but don't let that scare you (I think that song sucks!!=). The reason I'm such a big fan of his, is because he has made such beatiful and sad music! All of the best music I've heard is beautiful and sad and gives me chills when I hear it. On my top 50 of songs there's only a small handfull of metal songs, as I can easily find music that impresses me more than 200 mph and growls.
If you can relate to this I can recommend Hazlewood songs like "Wait and see", "Forget Marie", "Friday's Child", "What's more I don't need her", "The Night before", "Paris Bells" and "Bye Babe". He also wrote "Summerwine" and "Lady bird" which he recorded with Nancy Sinatra, but besides Nancy's half-crappy voice I think that the versions that Virgil Warner & Suzi Jane Hokom recorded were far superior. The are both among the 10 best songs I have EVER heard!!!!!!
John Barry does soundtracks. Some of his songs gives me chills like "Midnight cowboy", "Have you got a story for me" (from "Out of Africa"), "End title - Petulia" (from "Petulia") and "Candlelight" (from "Until September").
My favorite song of all time is Gershwin's "Summertime" and especially Ray Conniff's version is absolutely Divine. Bob Tracy's version is the next best. The best vocal version I've heard is probably from the Norwegian singer Sissel Kyrkjebø.
If someone is interested, I can post a list of songs that give that special feeling...?
Other than that my record collection mostly consists of funk from the 70's and other stuff from the 60's and 70's. I have rock (Beatles, Bowie, Whitney Sunday etc.), Funk (James Brown, Parliament/Funkadelic etc.), Jazz (Oscar Peterson, Miles Davis, etc.), Singer/songwriter/folk/hippie stuff (Cris Williamson, Alzo, Shocking Blue etc.), soul (Marvin Gaye, Barry White, Isley Brothers, etc.), prog. rock (Yes, Camel, Mannfred Mann's Earth Band, etc.), Pop (Dusty Springfield, Animals, later Lee Hazlwood)etc.) semi-prog pop/rock (Moody Blues, Procul Harum, Jethro Tull, etc.), acid rock (The Nice, Cream, Pink Floyd), classical (Mozart, Rachmaninov, Beethoven, etc.), "french top" (Mireille Mathieu, Eddy Mitchell, etc.), country (early Lee Hazlewood, Merle Haggard, etc.), film music (John Barry, Randy Edelmann, Nino Rota, Henry Mancini, etc.), metal (Type O Negative, Emperor, Iron Maiden, etc.), "Trucker rock" (Hellacopters, Guns N' Roses, Skid Row), musicals ("Porgy & Bess"), jazz-funk (Grover Washington Jr., Bob James, Hubert Laws) and just plain weird music like George Brassens and Dumitru Farcas (romanian folk music played on a bassoon and oboe). I even have a record of Japanese music.
I have a little over 1000 records, so you can probably understand that I wouldn't be able to have that amount if I only listened to 1 or 2 kinds of music.
I used to be very into hip hop, a little trip hop, downbeat and house but has grown tired of that like almost everything else from 1982 till now. I had around 100 hip hop/electronic records, but have taken them all out of my collection. There's music I know I will never like and it's drum n' bass! A friend of mine is a major fan of that crap and it makes my head ache every time I listen to that shit! I hate it. The only thing I've ever heard in Goa that I liked was Inscape's "Nothing like a good friend", but have grown tired of that too. As I started out saying I mostly have records from before 1982. I have around 75 metal records, 4 Dead Can Dance and a few 80's shit that's okay. To me 99.99% of the music today is worthless!
I buy records in second hand shops or at record fairs and I'll usually buy a record if I find one that has Gershwin's "Summertime" on it, Thelonious Monk's "'Round Midnight" and Bill Withers' "Ain't no sunshine".
When I choose music I first of all go for the melody then the mood. Energy can come later. I don't like music that is pure energy, but no melody. Why not just listen to a vacuum cleaner eating rocks then? :lol:

metal, rock, harcore, jazz, blues, country...cant stand rap, pop and techno (disco-type techno)...the only electronic music i listen to is portishead, jay jay johanson, ulver, tiamat, antimatter. and the only punk i listen to is sex pistols and dead kennedys, though i know i have to check out bad religion and dirt rotten imbeciles. and the only reggea i listen to is bob marley. and the only classical music that doesnt make me fall asleep is non-orchestral, which evidently is the CLASSICAL GUITAR! you cant imagine how enjoyable it is to both listen to and watch the etudes being played.

Well... i only found one style i really don't like, and that's Emo. That has to be about the simplest, most boring music i have ever heard. I'm talking about bands like The Weakerthans, Saves The Day, etc... that is fucking horrible. as for what i do like... err it would take a damn long time to tell you hehe but i'll try

prog Rock
prog metal
melodic death metal
doom metal
gothic metal
nu metal
brutal death metal
black metal
thrash
neoclassical metal (shred)
power metal
"hair" metal (80's glam stuff)

ok that's about it for metal... basically if it even hints at metal i like it hehe now i'll tell you the stuff that will likely upset you all muahaha

trendy punk & Ska (Sublime, millencollen, lagwagon, blink 182, sum 41, bad religion)
Hardcore (Cave-In, Dillenger Escape Plan, Vision Of Disorder, Converge)
80's pop stuff (this is more recent, Good old Analog Kid turned me on to some stuff!)
Alternative/Grunge (Alice In Chains, The Verve Pipe, Pearl Jam)
Pop metal (Nickelback, Default, 3 Doors Down)
Classical (mostly baroque, and the original shred dude PAGANINI!!)
some Pop and RnB (N'Sync, Brian McKnight, Backstreet Boys, Boyz 2 Men)
Rap (Busta Rhymes, Eminem, Dr. Dre, DMX)
Drum n Bass (Bad Company, Ed Rush & optical, Andy C)
Some Techno (Mainly bar songs hehe)
Comedy
Oldies (BEATLES!!! The Allman Brothers)
Classic Rock (led Zep, Deep Purple)
JAZZ!!!! That was my first interest im music... gotta love it

And i like most weirdo/experimental stuff like Zappa, Ron Thal,Mr. Bungle, Pan-Thy-Monium, etc. I find it comedic as well as very cool most of the time :D

Heh, I missed this thread 1st time round, and it's even started by a fellow NZer..... D'oh.....

I only listen to metal, and that is all that currently interests me. That's not to say that I'm narrow-minded at all (quite the opposite), but I like the kick it has, and the level of musicianship (read: guitar playing ;)) is second only to jazz IMHO, so metal it is.

I have some jazz (Al DiMeola, Acoustic Alchemy), and hey, most of you probably know about my classical background, but for me at this moment in time it is metal. \m/

Fuck man everyone i know thinks i am a freak hehehe. I even had a fight with one of my teammtes this summer because he said it was fucked up i listened to so much music... he was actually mad at me for having my headphones on so much!! And there's only really one person i know with most, not even all or my tastest, and that's Analog Kid. And i've assimilated his love for 80's pop so i am learning much still!

I forgot that I also have som reggae like Bob Marley, The Heptones, Bunny Wailer and so on. I also have one blues record I think. It's John Lee Hooker's "The healer". I also have a little latin like Edmundo Ros and Los Originalos. I have also have some latin stuff done by none-latin musicians like Ramsey Lewis ("Goin' latin") and Henry Mancini ("The latin sound of"). Then there's also old Santana, which is guess falls somewhere between blues-rock and latin.
I also have som 80's pop shit like Level 42, King, The Proclaimers and Crowded House.
I also enjoy Kraftwerk very much. I have 7 records by them and the newest, except for the "Expo 2000" 12" is "Computer World" from 1981 and the oldest is "Autobahn" fra 1974. My favorite Kraftwerk is "The man machine" from 1978.
I also enjoy "classics" like "Over the rainbow", "Yesterdays" (not the Beatles, but a song by Jerome Kern), "Greensleeves" and of course "Summertime" as I said earlier.
I also have a danish record made for children called "Karl Henriks tryllehat", which means "The magic hat of Karl Henrik". Karl Henrik is a Danish name. I also have "The merriest songs of Walt Disney", which I bought because of the superb "Chim chim cheriee" from the "Mary Poppins" movie. Julie Andrews voice is gold on that track!
I think George Goodman will fall into the gospel category.
I also have som disco, like Van McCoy, Sister Sledge, Boney M ("Rasputin" on single, which is the only decent song they ever made!), Martha High and so on. I even have a Hare Krishna record (it isn't very good though...).
When it comes to metal, I have loads of genres; Black, doom, gothic, thrash, death, heavy metal, progessive and so on. I also have some Soundgarden, but that falls into the grunge category.
Basically the only thing I don't have is electronic stuff (besides Kraftwerk), as that shit doesn't appeal to me. It did once, but I got tired of it. I think that you can find music of any genre that excisted in the period 1900-1980 in my collection. I don't have any gregorian chants though (except the ones on some of Type O Negative's music), but I had a record with that stuff called "Weinacths messe" ("Christmans mass") or something and it wasn't very good.