Musical Tastes

Static

Manically depressed robot
May 5, 2002
Wellington, NZ
Visit site
Blue Courier small

Ok, this is my first post ever on this site and I'd like to raise a discussion. I was wondering how diverse all of your music tastes are. My currently favourite band is Opeth, other bands I enjoy are RATM, MSI (insane techno punk), Refused (the worlds best punk band ever), Maudlin of the Well (Astral death metal prog), J5 (a bunch of rappers), DJ Hype (drum and bass), Tool, The International Noise Conspiracy (anti-government jazz retro rock), In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Pink Floyd (goddamn they are good), the first two offspring albums, older Katatonia, SOAD, Gorrillaz, Run DMC, Concord Dawn (NZ drum and bass) a little bit of morbid angel, Schubert, Mozart, Beethoven and Amorphis.

How many different types of music do you people like? Surely not just metal. By revealing all the bands I like off the top of my head I am open to being called a 'poser' or something but I just want to hear your thoughts.

Yeah..

Katatonia
Anathema
Tchaikovsky
Beethoven
Eminem
My Dying Bride
Opeth
THE BEATLES!!!!!
Vivaldi
Chopin
basically Metal and Classical. Not that wide you might say, but I used to love Rap.... I bought so much Rap I became a parody of myself. Now I only listen to Eminem, whom I believe to still be a fantastic social critic, despite his prestige.

To be honest I hate eninem, but cheers for bringing up the beatles, I forgot about those guys. I reckon If Opeth was the only band you liked you would still have diverse taste considering their influences range from jazz, classical music, death/black/whatever metal, baroque style, a smidgen of thrash, prog and psychodelic rock. just felt like saying that.

PS eric clapton is a very good guitarist, danney carey is the worlds best drummer (when it comes to technical), Akerfeldt best guitarist and vocalist, best bass player the guy that plays the bass in australian band the living end

well, thats my 2 cents

Originally posted by Static
I reckon If Opeth was the only band you liked you would still have diverse taste considering their influences range from jazz, classical music, death/black/whatever metal, baroque style, a smidgen of thrash, prog and psychodelic rock. just felt like saying that.

PS eric clapton is a very good guitarist, danney carey is the worlds best drummer (when it comes to technical), Akerfeldt best guitarist and vocalist, best bass player the guy that plays the bass in australian band the living end

well, thats my 2 cents
Danny Carey is inventive and good with time signatures, but ive heard it said that technically he isnt the best, which i guess is talking in terms of speed and timing and tightness and stuff. In terms of what he does to Tool i think he is damn good though, i mean him and Maynard do amazing jobs considering they have one of the most boring guitarists ive ever heard in my life to play along with.

Akerfeldt is nowhere near the best guitarist, actually hes very much just an 'average' guitarist, i dont know many serious guitarist who couldnt play anything opeth plays with ease, i can certainly do it. As a songwriter and a vocalist ill give you permission to call him one of the best however, as long as you knwo your opinion is mostly just a subjective thing and really there are better vocalists and songwriters out there.

As far as music tastes, i listen and like everything.
I purchase mostly metal and rock stuff like radiohead, faithnomore and similar. But i love classical and jazz and quite a lot else, i just dont have the funds to go as deep into the genres as i would like.

Originally posted by Static
To be honest I hate eninem, but cheers for bringing up the beatles,

Don't worry, I can easily see how Eminem could annoy a lot of people, let alone metal fans!

One duo I neglected to mention is none other than Simon And Garfunkle...

They are the only guys who come close to the Beatles in my opinion. Tracks like 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' and 'America' are the prefixes to modern day melancholic rock ie Katatonia, Anthema etc.

And Theatre Of Tragedy are the ONLY gothic metal band you ever need to listen to.

'Velvet Darkness They Fear' is the be all and end all of gothic 'beauty and the beast vocals' metal. Don't bother with anytying else....

a pretty much listen to anythign...excpetm rap, pop, rock, classical, punk an techno :)

i like all types of metal (not rap-metal) and prog music and mellow stuff like anathema and katatonia

Originally posted by requiem
Don't worry, I can easily see how Eminem could annoy a lot of people, let alone metal fans!
I dont mind Eminem, i mean theres something fun about him, and he does have a talent for crafting these weird sentences and changing the subject and stuff, its pretty cool. Not something id buy, but if it comes on the radio once in a while ill turn it up and listen.

Personally I listen to quite a bit: metal, jazz, funk, acoustic rock, rock, trip hop, ambient, intelligent dance, gabber, techno, goth, post rock, some rap, blues, prog rock, newave, dark wave, gothic rock, gothic metal, a small amount of country, dream pop, industrial, decent euphoria, some folk, ebm, soka, some latin and world music and anything that mixes any of the above genres...

Anything I think is good really :)

I don't listen to music cause of the genre the band is
in, even though genres makes the music easier to
describe. I listen to the music depending on what
feelings it gives me. What it makes me think and feel
is the most important thing. Which means I can listen
to pretty much anything as long as I think it's a good
song/album :eek:)

Right now it just happens to be metal that "does it"
for me, which of course is nice >:eek:)

Originally posted by YaYoGakk
I dont mind Eminem, i mean theres something fun about him, and he does have a talent for crafting these weird sentences and changing the subject and stuff,

Yeah. That's what appeals so much to me. He's pretty 'with it' as far as ability is concerned. He seems to have a competant grasp on most issues at any given time.

And his vocal structure is quite uncanny at times. The way he fits his words together.... it really is quite unique.

Originally posted by Blackspirit
Right now it just happens to be metal that "does it"
for me, which of course is nice

Its strange, much mellow acoustic rock (eg Reamon) has a far greater effect on me emotionaly than most metal does (with the exception of a few bands ;) )... but I still end up listening to metal a lot of the time... :err: odd! :D

ok...i am actually searching for new (for me new) music but i cant describe it properly...

it would be like a mix of tool (the repeated parts) and bauhaus (repeated parts and vox), electronic base maybe...i dunno...maybe leadguitars....sad and sloooooow....

Originally posted by [KOTNO]Narrot
ok...i am actually searching for new (for me new) music but i cant describe it properly...

it would be like a mix of tool (the repeated parts) and bauhaus (repeated parts and vox), electronic base maybe...i dunno...maybe leadguitars....sad and sloooooow....

Try some of the later 80's goth rock bands, Wolfganag Press may be kind of what you're looking for... the vocals would fit, so would the repeated parts and electronic base, and the saddness, no lead guitars tho (guitars in some songs tho) ;) If you wanna hear some download "Cut The Tree".. you probably won't like it at first, but it grows :)

Cool, I'll warn you again, it'll grow on you ;) Also you may like some early Cure; guitars, repetitive and sad, and generally excellent ;) For them I'd try "A Forest", "One Hundred Years" or "Charlotte Sometimes" (truly a magnificent song that one)

Metal (some bands: Dissection, At the Gates, Opeth, My Dying Bride, Storm, Ulver. Kvist, Hirilorn...among many others )
Ambient
some Folk
some Progressive Rock
lots of Classical (Bach, Chopin, Beethoven, Mozart, Ravel, Grieg...among many others)
some video game music (music from the Final Fantasy series, Castlevania, Soul Reaver, Soul Blade and Soul Calibur...among others) mostly the 'neo-classical-esque' type of music