MXR gt-od

~BURNY~

Apr 20, 2005
So I got one.

There isn't much talk about them around here which weird cause they are great.

I wouldn't ditch my OD808 but it's a different cool flavor. It seems to work exceptionally great with my Marshall amp where the Maxon tend to emasculate the amp a bit.

I haven't messed with the internal switch yet but it's a cool hidden feature.

Clips sometime soon.

I got an MXR Classic OD and it kills. Fatter, gainier, and all-around grittier than a Maxon for sure on GT-OD mode, but definitely familiar-sounding. The ZW mode is cool too, though a bit scratchy, but less honky.

Good pedal for sure.

my favorite boost i have found for high gain amps by far. it just sounds like more of your amp with added saturation and sustain. nice and full with no blatant mid push.

Yeah it's cool! I once compared 6 or 7 different ODs in a music store and this one and the TS808 were my favorites. I briefly owned the GT-OD but actually sold it again due to owning too many pedals... anyways, was surprised how different it sounded from my Maxon. Definitely makes sense to own both :D

Edit: yeah like the others said it's kind of fatter and grittier than the standard TS/ Maxon ODs... part of the reason why I sold it but also why I now think it would kinda make sense to get one again. And your post doesn't help haha

I am glad I sent back my Distortion+ (sounds like poopoo) to get this one.:D Besides, there's something about MXR pedals build quality and finish that is really appealing.

Clipz using reneisgod's DI (emg81). Maxon first, then MXR:

JCM900

I tried to match the gain as much on both pedal as I could but that's not as easy as it sounds. 6505 is slightly overgained as a result.

I just got a GT-OD used for 40$. Man this thing is fucking great as a boost. I even tried it to boost ampsims plugins and it sounds awesome. I've tried sd-1, green rhino,ts-9 and bad monkey but the GT-OD slays them all. It makes leads sounds creamier and rythm sound chunkier. Best 40$ spent in a long time.

Haven't tried the gt od but I have the MXR Custom Badass OD.
Works great with my triple rectifier because the 100hz control lets you dial out the mud

Clipz using reneisgod's DI (emg81). Maxon first, then MXR:

JCM900

I tried to match the gain as much on both pedal as I could but that's not as easy as it sounds. 6505 is slightly overgained as a result.
Love the added fatness of the MXR.

What kind of settings have you got going on? My guess is you have to run the Drive much lower than on the Maxon, righty?

Love the added fatness of the MXR.

What kind of settings have you got going on? My guess is you have to run the Drive much lower than on the Maxon, righty?

Can't remember exactly but yes, the drive was definitely lower.

Also I ended up soldering the internal switch on the other side of the pcb and drilled a hole on the bottom plate to access it easilly. That being said, it sounds less good in ZW mode imo.

Based on this post I actually got one again, too.

Sounds different from my TS808 and TS9 and I like it. I like em all, actually. The GT OD does indeed sound fatter and more transparent (less mid hump) but also grittier/dirtier (?) in a way. Hard to describe, but at the moment I prefer it on more polished amps (e.g. my Jet City) while on my 6505 I slightly prefer the Ibanez I think. Changes every week though haha

I have the classic OD, which is the same thing but cost a fraction of the price the GT-OD goes for. TBH for some amps it works better than my Behringer TO800 and Ibanez TS7, but for others the Behr and Ibanez come out tops (I suspect the MXR has considerably more gain), so I don't have a clear answer. Internally it is no better than the Behringer, being SMD as well (unlike the Ibanez which is through-hole and therefore MUCH easier to mod). A YATS (Yet Another Tube Screamer) is a YATS I guess.

The distortion+ is a classic circuit which is grossly misunderstood. I find it only works when used before a classic Marshall circuit (a 1959, 1987 or 2203, worked for Randy Rhoads, Malmsteen (he used a modified Dod 250, but that's as much of a Dist+ ripoff as the GT-OD is a YATS)), try it before a BF Fender or a Roland JC120 and you will sound like Husker Du did on their early records, or if you're not familiar with their works, kinda like the guitars on Burzum's "Filosofem" :heh:

both the classic od and gt od go for around $100 new and $50 used so not sure what you mean. they are also definitely not the same pedal, the gt od sounds much better for metal imo.

I'll try to make a better comparison soon including the EH OD glove which is great too.

69544820150423120645.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2973685/ODshoot.rar

I included the GE-7 which is not an OD but still a great way to shape:boost the incoming signal. I'm not personally shooting for "transparency" but for different tonal characters the same way you'd change pickups.

I used the green channel of the 6505 for once. I figured it would be easier to hear the differences since it's less compressed.