My 5150 Re-tubing Adventure.

Executioner213

Ultimate Meatbag
Sep 2, 2001
Spokane, WA
www.facebook.com
471204_398237280189361_172872156059209_1548960_115958216_o.jpg

So, I got my new tubes over the weekend. Finally got to do my "Tasty Choice" shootout to pick what I was going to have in them.

To start with, my 5150 had JJ's in the Power and Preamp section of the amp. I didn't actually look to see what was going on in the first place, and just assumed I'd change em all. I pretty much did just that, with one exception that I might go back and change my mind on.

Here's what I have sitting here:
2 - Sino 12AX7A (C-9/9th Gen. Chinese/Shuguang)
1 - Sovtek 12AX7LPS w/ Balanced Triodes
3 - JJ ECC83s / 12AX7's
2 - Penta 12AX7 (C-9/9th Gen. Chinese/Shuguang)
4 - SED SV6L6GC (Winged C's)
1 - Mesa 12AX7 (Pretty sure they use re-branded Sovtek's)
1 - ENGL 12AX7 (Don't really know anything about it, got it from Shane [Martriden])

I put the SED/Winged C's in the power section and BAM! Instant gratification achieved. So much more...awesome! I'm very glad I did the research and followed some recommendations on the forum here (Lasse, primarily), because this made such a difference.

Next, I went to the preamp tubes and discovered they were all JJ's. I had originally planned for 3 of them to be JJ's, so I left the original ones in at that time (which is what I might go back and change). I specifically got the Sovtek w/ balanced triodes for the Phase Inverter position in the preamp, so that was an instant drop in...and I did notice a little more clarity out of that.

To start off, I put a Sino (9th Gen. Chinese) in the V1 slot. I didn't hate it, but it seemed a little bit more shrill than I'd hoped for. I didn't choose to hate it right away, though, since I had a handful of others to try out. Next, I put a Penta Labs 12AX7 in the V1 position. It brought the head to life! I decided if nothing blew me away after having that one in, it'd be my pick. Next, I threw in the ENGL tube. It sounded much like the first one, but there was this faint high pitch ringing I could here. I did a quick finger flick on the tube and WEEEEEEEEEEE....holy moley, it was microphonic as fuck! Next, the Mesa. I liked it, it seemed to be an in-between of the Sino and the Penta, but there was still too much of the shrillness I wasn't enjoying as much before.

I could have put another JJ back in for my test, but I didn't. I wasn't too surprised about the outcome of going with the Penta in the V1 position. I could have also done further testing and flip-flopped the other stuff in and out, but I went with somewhat of a test based on what others had used. The amp sounds really good now, especially with my Baritone/EMG-81 pickup.
Unfortunately, I don't have audio for you to back my claims...but it seems like I experienced a lot of the same shit other people here did. Nothing new to say, really. Just wanted to add another testimonial for those out there looking to delve into a re-tubing of a 5150. On the bright side, I now have an almost duplicate set of preamp tubes and a whole set of JJ's for the power section on deck for backup in case something happens on the road.

That is my favorite tube combo for that particular amp without a doubt. I'm actually NOT a huge fan of Winged =C= 6L6 in many amplifiers, but in the 6505/5150 they sound fantastic. I tried five different quads of power tubes in mine. The only others I would recommend are the Sovtek 5881WXT+. The Chinese power tubes (Ruby/Penta Labs/TAD) are all too abrasive for me on the top end. The other Russian power tubes (Tung Sol/other Sovtek variants) are too shrill, and the Eugos (JJ) are too dull.

I prefer JJs to MOST preamp tubes, given the amp. If you can get a hold of NOS JJs (circa 2004, unbranded), they are killer. They've got a bit more sparkle than the newer JJs and less hair, but retain the saturation that JJs are known for.

On the other hand, my Bogner and Baron LOVE Chinese Preamp tubes; I would not use anything else in there.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

That is my favorite tube combo for that particular amp without a doubt. I'm actually NOT a huge fan of Winged =C= 6L6 in many amplifiers, but in the 6505/5150 they sound fantastic. I tried five different quads of power tubes in mine. The only others I would recommend are the Sovtek 5881WXT+. The Chinese power tubes (Ruby/Penta Labs/TAD) are all too abrasive for me on the top end. The other Russian power tubes (Tung Sol/other Sovtek variants) are too shrill, and the Eugos (JJ) are too dull.

I prefer JJs to MOST preamp tubes, given the amp. If you can get a hold of NOS JJs (circa 2004, unbranded), they are killer. They've got a bit more sparkle than the newer JJs and less hair, but retain the saturation that JJs are known for.

On the other hand, my Bogner and Baron LOVE Chinese Preamp tubes; I would not use anything else in there.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Thanks for the info. My 6505 is sounding a bit bright/harsh to me at gig volumes so I'm looking at the winged c's to maybe tame that a bit. Is there a whole lot of difference between the 'early, average, or late distortion' choices? I was thinking of the late option because maybe it would give the most headroom?