My 8-string metal mix of "Spirals"

coreysMonster

Oct 28, 2009
Hey peeps, I'm new here, and this site was brought to my attention by that guy with Clint Eastwood in his sig.
It seems you all know buttloads about mixing, and thought maybe you could help me better myself with my crappy recordings.

I've only been recording and mixing for about 4 months, so I'm still a noob at this, and would like some feedback on my recording of my song "Spirals".

I'm using a line6 toneport UX1 for guitars and bass, as well as DFH for the drums (as I've seen, this is pretty hated around here, though I don't know why). Guitars are an Agile 8-string and a no-name 4-string bass.

http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/kalium/

The newest mix is "Spirals (Uzumaki) - Mix 2", and let the tearing apart begin.

:headbang:

from what I've read, lowpassing is basically killing everything above a certain frequency. around where would that frequency be?

Round 12khz.

Very unique music. I kinda dig it, but there seem to be some serious intonation issues, especially at the start with the cleans.

Doesn't sound TOOO bad. The leads are way too loud and burying everything else. The bass kinda buries everything also but its not even that loud, too much lowmids mostly. The guitars are not very tight, why don't you try using 8505 or LePou's new sim or something? You will never get a tone with a POD that will be as good as a tone you can get with some of the free sims.. which is a pretty big statement but I think its true.

Round 12khz.

Very unique music. I kinda dig it, but there seem to be some serious intonation issues, especially at the start with the cleans.

Doesn't sound TOOO bad. The leads are way too loud and burying everything else. The bass kinda buries everything also but its not even that loud, too much lowmids mostly. The guitars are not very tight, why don't you try using 8505 or LePou's new sim or something? You will never get a tone with a POD that will be as good as a tone you can get with some of the free sims.. which is a pretty big statement but I think its true.

/agree

and this 8505 thing will work with my toneport? or should I get another interface?
I know I should probably record with micing an amp, but it's not possible in my dorm, and I don't have money to rent rooms.

Yeah, I use it all the time and have the same interface.

You need to record dry guitars (no effects or anything, not even amp sim) and then apply the VST plugins.
You should read some first, in this forum there's a lot of info ;)