My Bands New (Heavy) Song (Axe-Fx,S2.0)

-Loco-

Knives.
Apr 17, 2009
Hey dudes!!

Our band Just finished recording the song from a 'batch' that we are putting out over summer.

It's called 'Knives'

Since it was my birthday yesterday I think you all owe me a pity listen as a present ;)

But in all seriousness i'm quite happy with the mix. I'm keeping the template and will probably tweak it for each track until I have something solid. We have about another 8 ready to go :)

Really need a vocalist.

Hope you enjoy!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/970663/KnivesSectionedEP2.mp3

and a link to our youtube @

http://www.youtube.com/user/PedSectioned

Guitars at about 1:00; 1:30; 1:40 in sound overly edited / gated , guitar tone is a little muddy. Whole mix is lacking some top end. Playing is tight which is good. The cymbals at about 2:00 have too much top end sound like the high end is peaking and you are getting some clipping. Song itself and the writing is great.

Thank you man! I think that's cleared the air. I hope you accept my apology for the shit in that other thread and I appreciate your criticism on this!

I'll keep tweaking my mixes but i'll definitely take account of what you said, especially over the cymbals :)

the song is good........ very tight playing......but im not diggin the snare...guitars a little muddy

That snare drum sounds REALLY awful on my laptop speakers -- take it with a grain of salt, of course, but it sounds like one very sharp very focused frequency band going "pock" with each snare hit.

I dont know man, maybe I need to increase the snare attack. Have a listen to it on some fuller speakers or headphones! maybe it's just a bit buried!

Thank you for the comments guys!

I'll be tweaking things as we go along to record the rest. New track next week :)

i digg the song, but the snare confuses me? it sounds like its miss-firing or popping or something? but the drums are programmed? maybe somethings weird on my end..

Thanks guys. Different speakers seem to be reacting in really different ways for some reason..i think less smush on the MB will fix it. Piano is Ivory VST. Recommended to me by a few guys on here...it's AWESOME!

The snare sounds good on it's own, but it needs to be compressed more and humanized a little less, the hits are too inconsistent. The guitars need some low end sliced out and some treble put in it's place. Whole mix is muddy because of the guitars. Too much compression on the master as well. Drop your individual track levels a little bit.

That's my highly critical opinion of it.

But criticism aside, this sounds pretty stellar.

Is that the snare popping? It sounds kinda like a woodblock? I'm not sure if that is what it is. I think the song is pretty awesome, if the staccato riffs are intentional and that is you playing, amazing tightness. If not, gate is kicking in hard. Very neat sounding and different!

btw, I listened to the songs on my Sony headphones and my KRK's. Sounds the same both way as far as the snare.

Roncore it's a bit of both!

The axe-fx noise gate is just amazing also.

That's just my snare preference because i think it sounds more real...like i said i'll try and tighten things up...apologies if it's really let the song down!

I have a whole new patch to try on the next song!