My Best Mix Yet (I think)

Toms are pretty sweet but they are a little to sharp sames goes for the kick they are way too clicky for me. Piercing my ears. Nice overall room sound. Guitars ....no balls.

I think it sounds awesome man. I wish I could achieve a mix this good already! I've only been at the whole mixing thing for a week or so now though. I kinda wish i knew more about the relationship between the guitar and bass and how they are EQed to work together. How did you go about getting the tones? any chance you would be cool with uploading your guitar and bass tracks separately? it would be cool if i could try to analyze what tones that sound good in a mix together sound like alone. Curve EQ them or something you know? But it's cool if you don't wanna. :)

Guitars sound really scooped. They lack 500-800hz. They also have too much 1-4k information going on.

I'm not having a lot of luck on my guitar tones. I'm using passive Epiphone Les Paul pickups, they are a bit high mid crazy, and lack heaviness

Overall do you think it's just an eq problem?

I think it sounds awesome man. I wish I could achieve a mix this good already! I've only been at the whole mixing thing for a week or so now though. I kinda wish i knew more about the relationship between the guitar and bass and how they are EQed to work together. How did you go about getting the tones? any chance you would be cool with uploading your guitar and bass tracks separately? it would be cool if i could try to analyze what tones that sound good in a mix together sound like alone. Curve EQ them or something you know? But it's cool if you don't wanna. :)

Thanks for the kind words man! I'm still working on becoming great, but I definitely know some tips and tricks that got me where I am so far. Just remember it takes a LOT of practice, and sometimes something one person doesn't like just boils down to personal preference

The Bass and Guitar relationship can be tricky, believe it or not, my bass is actually louder than my guitar tracks.

Let's start with Bass; Here's a link with just the bass (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39591640/Bass (Solo'd).mp3)
The first thing you need to do is MAKE SURE that the playing is tight, and the bass is quality. Can't stress that enough. Next is to make sure the amp settings, (I use pod farm) are to your taste, you don't want to compensate for a bad amp tone. Next you want to have some subtle eq, if you have to drastically change your tone, I would start over. In this clip I boosted my bass at 4000hz with a medium Q to bring out the sound of the strings. The next part is very important in making your bass sit glued in the mix. I use a Multiband Compressor, and have it set from 60hz to 500hz, what it does, is when it hears the low end of the bass not staying at a constant volume, it compresses it or releases to try and keep it around the same volume. It make the mix between guitar and bass great. The last thing I do is Limit the absolute crap out of the bass. I've heard people say the less dynamics the better, makes the bass really smooth sounding.

Onto Guitars; Here's a link with just the guitars (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39591640/Guitars (Solo'd).mp3)

Again make sure your playing is solid and in time. I use Pod Farm for guitars as well. I great place to start is looking up “The Patch” pod farm preset. It will get you started in the right direction. In Pod farm I use amps like The Cali Rec, and The Criminal. Every pickup is different, so do your very best to get the tone sounding great straight from pod farm. Next you want to EQ, I cut a tiny notch around 4000hz because the cab has a hiss. Then I boost 6khz to 8khz, and boost 300hz. I also cut at 800hz. Make sure that your guitar have a good noise gate on them, that's very important. Then I also limit my guitars, just to make them sit in the mix well.

Hope this helps!

analyze what tones that sound good in a mix together sound like alone.

The key is having good source sounds. As they say, good in = good out. Remember that soloing something in a mix is pointless because then you're not hearing how it actually fits in the mix. As for what these good 'source sounds' are supposed to sound like, I would try referencing some mixes that you admire and maybe try to achieve something similar...

Guitars sound really scooped. They lack 500-800hz. They also have too much 1-4k information going on.

While I do agree with you, I don't think there is "one tone" that everyone should be going for. This sounds raw in an interesting way. A guitar tone can't be "wrong" since tone is always subjective.

IMO guitar tone is good but drums are over the top maybe. They ring out for like 5 seconds after every hit. Less compression? Less reverb?

While I do agree with you, I don't think there is "one tone" that everyone should be going for. This sounds raw in an interesting way. A guitar tone can't be "wrong" since tone is always subjective.

IMO guitar tone is good but drums are over the top maybe. They ring out for like 5 seconds after every hit. Less compression? Less reverb?

Yeah, although I do think the guitar tone could be better.

The drums on the other hand are the Chango Samples, and I didn't use anything but Gclip on them. So there's not much I can with that. I mostly wanted to experiment. They're kind of over the top, yes.

I never said anything about the tone being 'wrong', or implied he go for a particular sound, I was only stating my opinion on what areas I thought could be improved to benefit the mix as a whole.