My heaviest and most pissed off mix yet(and i mean it)

I think there is enough bass on that clip that was my point. I think you don't understand that most poeple are going to boost the bass anyways and that less bass = more clarity. This is why i said "Bass is fine" If I WANTED more i COULD boost my bass eq at home, wich I won't since i believe that the "Bass is fine"

I dont even have to say it. All I have to say though is FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. <3

hahaha i love those comics!

537090749_fuuuuuuu.png

great brian, i think it´s one of your best mixes.:)
kick sound great, i like low-end kicks.;)
a lot processing in kick?

again, awesome mix.;)

yeah a lot of eq. No compression(i've never been able to make compression on that slate kick sound good, nor have i thought it necessary)

Shit Brian! Killer thick guitar tone, this shit is killer. This is a killer mix for sure. I dont want to sound like an a-hole but have you thought of blending some other samples with the SSD ones? Im not referring to this mix in particular, I mean generally, because unfortunately SSD is almost becoming the new ezdrummer in terms of recognition, you recognize it anywhere.

But apart from that, shit dude, everything is perfectly balanced, although just a touch of more low-end would definitely settle it! Congrats man!

yeah i occasionally mix the real snare in with the slate snare when there is time and if i like the drummer's snare. I have a pop punk band coming later this month that will want to do that.

The mix sounds sick as fuck Brian!

My only complaint would be the vocals almost sound like they have a blanket on them in parts and don't have a good high end sizzle. Not sure if your low passing them but i may fuck with that bit. They do work in the mix though fine but thats the only thing that caught my ear.

Thanks man! I'll have to check out the chain and see. I can't remember haha. I'm thinking i do, but it's pretty much the exact same vocal chain i use for every heavy band, except for a few compressor changes and de esser changes

still using the cymbal limiter trick?

haha yup! Do you?
I think for this particular band i actually have a compressor going before the limiter as well. This is the only time i've used a compressor on the cymbals since i started using the limiter.

Do you fuck with the release of the L1 on your overheads?

Ive used L1 in the past with mixed results and I'm always trying new things with overheads. Lately its been the ssl channel with a 20-1 setting. I will usually find something (plugin chain) I'm happy with for one band but different cymbals and different drummers make it a challenge every time to get a good sound for me. Urggg i hate overheads some times!

I really need to find some cymbals I love (recorded) and buy the set so i can always have a good cymbal sound for bands when needed. Do you find yourself using your own cymbals a lot on recordings?

Sounds fucking wicked man.
Compared it to a few more popular commercial mixes, I don't think the low end problem is as bad as some are making it out to be. Only a really tiny boost in the sub bass is all that's needed IMO.

Do you fuck with the release of the L1 on your overheads?

Ive used L1 in the past with mixed results and I'm always trying new things with overheads. Lately its been the ssl channel with a 20-1 setting. I will usually find something (plugin chain) I'm happy with for one band but different cymbals and different drummers make it a challenge every time to get a good sound for me. Urggg i hate overheads some times!

I really need to find some cymbals I love (recorded) and buy the set so i can always have a good cymbal sound for bands when needed. Do you find yourself using your own cymbals a lot on recordings?

Nah i never mess with the release on the L1. Whatever it's on works for me

I end up using my hi hats 80% of the time, and more often than not, the drummer ends up using my entire set of cymbals

Here is the final mix. Added more bass, adjusted the c4 settings on guitar(it was taking too much away), adjusted a couple levels, and added a limiter to the vocals(the band was complaining about the vocalist's mids being too low in the mix compared to lows and highs, and i was too lazy to separate them to different tracks, so i just threw a limiter on the vocal bus and called it a day haha).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/536384/Crea...Extravegaza for Kids that can't Read Good.mp3

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck:kickass:

Here in my job sounds like a battleship being hit by a torpedo...or something like that:headbang:

Can´t wait to hear in my home, my neighbourhood maybe won´t think the same...

Nathan I could be wrong but I think the limiter trick everyone is referring to is using a limiter on the overheads to help cut out some of the snare.

Yep, that's it. Basically dampening most of the kick, (mainly) snare and toms bleed in the overheads, I've been doing this for quite a long time since it always sounded like common sense. But it does indeed work-

I sometimes use a compressor with a 0 attack (although I only have one compressor that can do this) and a release around 50-70, can work better than a limiter, which can result in distortion. Sometimes I use compressor then limiter for cases where the OHs have way too much drums.

About the overheads I read that using an Eq can cut the snare en tombs, cutting some frequencies related to them (fuck, don´t remember now), and pulling up the other ones, I´ll try to give you tomorrow, I´m in my job now:rolleyes:

I did it with a mixing that I´m making in a real recorded drums and too much snare and tombs come to overheads, and Eq cut works fine, at least the drummer is happy now, but don´t tell anybody the drummers are deaf...