Finally recorded a band i actually like.(non generic metalcore)

I honestly thought the hi hats/cymbals weren't real. There is something VERY unnatural sounding about them. I don't really know how to to even explain it. I would think that I have pretty decent ears (or people seem to say that I do) and they just struck me as a bad sample or something. No means to be offensive as all. How did you mic them? Just overheads or overheads/close mic? Processing?

Can we hear a track of just drums?

Also, if you're interested, I would love to work out some guitars tones with you; let me try reamping your material. PM me if you have a whims to do so.

haha that's quite interesting! I'll try to mix down just the drums for you to check out.

I haven't done anything drastic. Those are the same Zildjian A custom hi hats that are in most of my recordings, and the cymbals were all A Customs except for the Z Custom 21 in ride. I did put the overheads a little higher this time though, but hardly enough to make a drastic difference.

my setup was 2 Rhode NT5's, an AT 4040 on the ride, and an AT3035 on the hi hats. The OH's have a 600hz hi pass on it, and the ride and hi hat mics have a 400hz high pass. All of the cymbals tracks have a limiter on it to kill the snare. I also added a bit of plate reverb to the cymbals.

That's basically everything

I honestly thought the hi hats/cymbals weren't real. There is something VERY unnatural sounding about them. I don't really know how to to even explain it. I would think that I have pretty decent ears (or people seem to say that I do) and they just struck me as a bad sample or something. No means to be offensive as all. How did you mic them? Just overheads or overheads/close mic? Processing?

Can we hear a track of just drums?

Also, if you're interested, I would love to work out some guitars tones with you; let me try reamping your material. PM me if you have a whims to do so.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/536384/Erra/Rough mix/drums only.mp3

here is a track of just drums. I think my main issue was that there is a cymbal blocking the hi hat from the (drummers) left OH, so the right OH is picking up the hi hat more than the left. Since the hi hat mic is panned hard left, it sounds a bit funky.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/536384/Erra/Rough mix/drums only.mp3

here is a track of just drums. I think my main issue was that there is a cymbal blocking the hi hat from the (drummers) left OH, so the right OH is picking up the hi hat more than the left. Since the hi hat mic is panned hard left, it sounds a bit funky.

Sometimes it can be beneficial to have a cymbal blocking out the hats, so you don't get an overwhelming amount of hats in the OHs; in this situation it did more harm than good. I'm sure if you had a mic on 'em, it wouldn't have been much of an issue.

Also, do realize that I'm nitpicking.

Sometimes it can be beneficial to have a cymbal blocking out the hats, so you don't get an overwhelming amount of hats in the OHs; in this situation it did more harm than good. I'm sure if you had a mic on 'em, it wouldn't have been much of an issue.

Also, do realize that I'm nitpicking.

I had 4 mics for cymbals:
2 OH
1 Ride
1 hi hat

my biggest problem is that the hi hats are always so loud in the overheads that i never really have the hi hat mic loud. I could probably fix this with a lot of automation

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/536384/Erra/mix 1/Seperate mix 1.mp3

This is a brand new band called Erra from Birmingham, AL. The guitar player is only 17, and the rest of the guys are around 20 or younger.

Let me know your thoughts on the mix. This is mix 1, and i usually get up to around mix 3 or 4 before i'm happy, so share anything you like or dont like. I'm sure there will be no shortage of things for me to change tomorrow when i listen with fresh ears.

The only thing on here that is not my usual setup is bass. I now use a Sansamp RBI for bass, along with ampeg svx 8x10 cab sim, c4, limiter, and a touch of eq.

Damnit I wish this was my band.

A little too many highs in the guitars now; I would try to milk some more midrange out of 'em. It is a little bass deficient as well. Overheads could go down a decibel. Sorry if you're sick of my comments, but I'm just trying to help.