My "Best of Iron Maiden" 4-CD Project...

Khan71

Aug 5, 2006
Yeah, I know...4 CDs is a lot...but if Billy Joel gets a 4-CD set...then certainly Maiden can have one! It was actually ridiculously hard to narrow it down to just 4 CDs. There were about 4 or 5 songs I had to leave off, that really killed me. Anyway...I'm titling it "Tour Of Duty - The Best of Iron Maiden".

Here's the cover...I used the middle finger candle Eddie as the foundation, and painted over most of it...

eddiecover6.jpg

I bought a DVD/CD burner that actually burns the label right onto the CD without any paper or ink, or anything. It's sort of a sepia type of tone...and it looks fuckin' killer. Here's one of the CD's...

cdlabel.jpg

This is the setlist...

CD 1
Prowler
Remember Tomorrow
Phantom Of The Opera
Strange World
The Ides Of March/Wrathchild
Murders In The Rue Morgue
Killers
Children Of The Damned
The Prisoner
The Number Of The Beast
Run To The Hills
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Revelations
Flight Of Icarus
The Trooper

CD 2
Still Life
Aces High
2 Minutes To Midnight
Flash Of The Blade
Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
Caught Somewhere In Time
Wasted Years
Stranger In A Strange Land
Infinite Dreams
The Evil That Men Do
The Clairvoyant
Only The Good Die Young
No Prayer For The Dying
Fates Warning

CD 3
Run Silent Run Deep
Be Quick Or Be Dead
Afraid To Shoot Strangers
Fear Of The Dark
Sign Of The Cross (Live)
Lord Of The Flies (Live)
The Edge Of Darkness
The Clansman
Como Estais Amigo
The Wicker Man
Ghost Of The Navigator
Blood Brothers

CD 4
Out Of The Silent Planet
Montsegur
Gates Of Tomorrow
New Frontier
Paschendale
Face In The Sand
Brighter than A Thousand Suns
The Pilgrim
The Longest Day
For the Greater Good of God
Lord of Light

I'm making an MP3 CD version for my truck and since it can fit every song I want, it's going to be the deluxe edition with these extra songs...

Where Eagles Dare
Aces High (this version NOT live, but with Churchill's Speech Intro, that I spliced in)
Powerslave
Sea Of Madness
Tailgunner
Wasting Love
Man On The Edge (Live)
Futureal
The Fallen Angel
Journeyman (Electric Version)
The Pilgrim
The Legacy

Archmagician said:
Wow a CD/DVD burner that burns a label right in? That kicks ass!

How much did that cost you if you dont mind me asking? Also, who is the manufactorer and what is the model number of the unit?

Thanks!

It was a little under $90 for DVD/CD burning capabilities AND the label burning...which isn't bad at all! Made by LG...and I don't recall the model number, sorry! They're not the only ones that make them, though. Oh..and so far, the CD's you need to buy to burn the artwork in with the laser, are about $1.00 each, but they come with a slim case.

in my opinion, the best one is cd#1, and it won´t be bad if you add a "covers and rarities" cd, with -fear of the dark/cradle of fitlh- and -the trooper/children of bodom- starring

oohh....too much pot in my mind...

I burned an MP3 compilation disk a while ago that has 117 Maiden songs on it. I only had to leave out a couple 3-4 songs. Damn thing will play for 10 hours!

I burned an MP3 compilation disk a while ago that has 117 Maiden songs on it. I only had to leave out a couple 3-4 songs. Damn thing will play for 10 hours!

Hey Swan what did you encode the soundfiles at?Optimal is usually 192 kbps and the highest is 320 kbps

What was on your compilation?

I have been thinking of doing something similar for Black Sabbath-only live bootleg material.

That is the coolest thing I've ever seen! Is there any way I could get a copy?lol! To tell you the truth, I don't even know half of the songs. I kinda gave up on music around Somewhere in Time era. Guess I stood by vinyl too long! My butt is going to be stuck in Afganistan for at least a year and there isn't much to do outside of work. As soon as I know where I will be stationed I will post a thread asking for Maidens vids from the shows I will miss that anyone could send out. Once again, great art work and song list!

Hey Swan what did you encode the soundfiles at?Optimal is usually 192 kbps and the highest is 320 kbps

What was on your compilation?

I have been thinking of doing something similar for Black Sabbath-only live bootleg material.

If I read the stat correct, it's only about 128kbps. Depending on the playback oversample rate, filters and EQ settings, it has reasonable fidelity. I've also made MP3 compilations of Priest, My Dying Bride, and a couple Best of Rock.

I imagine 192 would be better, but these were my first attempts, so you learn by doing. Besides I wanted large groups of albums on ONE CD. I keep them in double-CD cases and 3 double-cases (5 CDs) gives me ~ 60 albums. Talk about compact!

Live Boots may not have spectacular fidelity, so you might get by with nominal, or less, encode rates.

That is the coolest thing I've ever seen! Is there any way I could get a copy?lol! To tell you the truth, I don't even know half of the songs. I kinda gave up on music around Somewhere in Time era. Guess I stood by vinyl too long! My butt is going to be stuck in Afganistan for at least a year and there isn't much to do outside of work. As soon as I know where I will be stationed I will post a thread asking for Maidens vids from the shows I will miss that anyone could send out. Once again, great art work and song list!

Thanks for your service! I'm from a different era, but I remember losing track of music, friends and good times during Vietnam. I emerged on a different timeline from my buddies who stayed home and partied. That is both a plus and a minus.

Thanks for your service! I'm from a different era, but I remember losing track of music, friends and good times during Vietnam. I emerged on a different timeline from my buddies who stayed home and partied. That is both a plus and a minus.

I'm out in Afganistan and Iraq as a civilian working for the military. I've enquired about joining these past few years, but am simply 2 months too old. I've never considered the military even though my Pops was Lt. Col because I never thought the U.S. would be attacked or even threatened.

If I read the stat correct, it's only about 128kbps. Depending on the playback oversample rate, filters and EQ settings, it has reasonable fidelity. I've also made MP3 compilations of Priest, My Dying Bride, and a couple Best of Rock.

I imagine 192 would be better, but these were my first attempts, so you learn by doing. Besides I wanted large groups of albums on ONE CD. I keep them in double-CD cases and 3 double-cases (5 CDs) gives me ~ 60 albums. Talk about compact!

Live Boots may not have spectacular fidelity, so you might get by with nominal, or less, encode rates.

128 kbps is the begining of high fidelity so I guess it is not bad and you are right the purpose of mp3 cds is to fit multiple albums on one disc.320 kbps is closest to WAV files in sound.I suppose tho that if I eq the bootleg stuff correctly the 128 kbps would be fine.I have done mp3 discs in the past and have had no complaints with that bit rate.

What type of discs do you use?I sometimes use Maxell discs with stick on dvd labels or HP Lightscribe discs as Khan71 did for his discs.

The CD-writer in my old PC is not a Lightscribe, so I can't. I use Sony CD-Rs, even though they are made in Korea, I seem to have less trouble with them?

I recently installed a 20x DVD-writer, a Sony, but not a Lightscribe. I'm not sure if Sony does a Lightscribe? Again I use Sony DVD-Rs. Best Buy had a great special a while back, so I stepped into it for $40.

Yeah, for reasonable density/sound MP3s are satisfactory. I used to carry around 20-30 CDs (all my Maidens plus all my MDBs, plus a vast miscellany), but they are now more compact, less obvious to thieves, and play almost as well with windows down, road and wind noise.

Besides, as discussed in another forum, I'm acquiring Tinnitus, so maybe it matters less now than before?

The CD-writer in my old PC is not a Lightscribe, so I can't. I use Sony CD-Rs, even though they are made in Korea, I seem to have less trouble with them?

I recently installed a 20x DVD-writer, a Sony, but not a Lightscribe. I'm not sure if Sony does a Lightscribe? Again I use Sony DVD-Rs. Best Buy had a great special a while back, so I stepped into it for $40.

Yeah, for reasonable density/sound MP3s are satisfactory. I used to carry around 20-30 CDs (all my Maidens plus all my MDBs, plus a vast miscellany), but they are now more compact, less obvious to thieves, and play almost as well with windows down, road and wind noise.

Besides, as discussed in another forum, I'm acquiring Tinnitus, so maybe it matters less now than before?

Alot of companies make Lightscribe enable burners-not sure if Sony does but they might.Go with an HP burner if you considering going that route.

I haven't used Sony in ages.Last batched I used there were a couple that just crapped out after a couple years.Also I have been having bad luck with Maxells lately-seems as if they are cutting corners by using outside contractors to assemble the dvds,same with some batches of the audio discs.When you make your discs do you use th stick on labels?DO NOT use the standard cd paper label,but rather the Memorex dvd labels that are safe for labeling-they are made of a polyester film material that does not expand or contract like paper labels,therfore warping and ruining the disc.

Just went back to using HP Lightscribe discs and not one bad burn so far!

I have burned mp3 discs at 128 kbps as well and the quaility loss is next to nothing so I have had no problems with that setting.Yeah isn't great to condense one's massive collection to a couple discs?

Oh hell yes, I have Complete (mostly) Collections of Maiden, My Dying Bride, Judas Priest, Rock 1 (harder rock), Rock 2 (softer rock) .... my g/f loves the latter, I borrowed it to her to play in her new car, which is MP3 disk compatable.

It takes me long to create an MP3 disk, as I try to get the disks in order, with disc titles and song titles .... so they properly display on my CD-player.

I've got every single recorded song the band has done one one MP3 disc that I play in my car MP3 player. The only bad thing is that I had to use 96kbps to fit them all.

I'm probably going to have to do the whole project again on 128 kbps on 2 discs at some point as the band puts out more stuff. Hopefully I can fit all the albums one one disc and the bonus material on the other. I really don't want to split the albums on two discs. I like just putting my program on random with selections from the entire disc.

I had to leave a few songs off, actually a couple albums, but that was no major loss. I still got the vast majority of the stuff I like at 128kbps