My brother has cancer.

Bryan316

METAL... nuff said!
My brother discovered a tumor in his lower abdomen a few months ago. We had it checked out, and last week he underwent surgery to remove it. Last Friday they ran a C.T. scan to check his body. Yesterday morning, he was told the tumor was malignant, and the C.T. scan revealed what looked like "enlarged lymph nodes" on the back wall of his stomach, and several small spots on his lungs.

This changes everything about life.

So now, my brother's really looking at guitarplaying, and songwriting, and music in general a little differently. He sat down with us all, and told us this will not end our band. It will postpone it. Cuz he refuses to die for some damned disease.

Well... we're really looking differently at material possessions. And what he does, and how healthy he lives his life. No booze, no smoky environments, no spray paints, no anythings. Which also means, a drastic cutdown on the number of concerts he attends. Cuz once he starts whatever treatments he'll need to kick this cancer's ass, he'll get his ass kicked too.

But I'm going to make fuckin sure he gets to see Manticora live. REGARDLESS.

He's drooled over these guys like when he first discovered Iced Earth and before that MetallicA and Randy Rhoads. So fuck me if I'll let cancer keep him from coming to the greatest music festival in America.

I think this year, we'll just make plans to have our whole band come to the show this year. My lead guitarist knows there's some fantastic bands there, he just never got a chance to hear much of them. Well... besides what my drummer and I force feed his ears in between Dream Theater albums... so I'll give him a copy of a disc from each of this year's bands, and he'll most likely want to see this show.

Glenn... it's kinda scary to even mention it, but I hope you got a wheelchair section there. I certainly don't think it'll come that far, but hey, chemotherapy and radiation treatments affect different people differently. I certainly hope he's a strong enough guy to take this. He's got a helluva positive attitude to it, but who knows 7 months from now. We don't know.

So folks.... if you got a spare moment this weekend, play something really loud and really fast for him. We've got a long battle ahead of ourselves now.

DimebagShow18.JPG
ToledoShow09.JPG

Sorry to hear about your brother, my dad had a brain tumour the size of a baseball when I was 3 but he got rid of it, it wasn't cancer though. I hope he can make it to the show...I am playing Blind Guardian's Mirror, Mirror for him right now!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Definitely sending out prayers for your brother. Sounds as if he has a positive attitude and that is a great start to beating this thing.
Horns up... :headbang:

If it helps at all, my best friend was diagnosed w/ malignant skin cancer (the most deadly form, according to her doctor) about a year and a half ago. They removed it and a lymph node, and, after a lot of treatments, she's fine now. No more tanning for her, but I'd much rather have her around and pasty white than the alternative.

Good luck to your family.

bro, i will definitely pray for your brother and play some extra loud shit this weekend for him.

maybe this will lift your spirits:

My band was shadowed by cancer as well.

Back in high school, myself and my 2 best friends banded together to learn guitar, drums, and bass. we were absolutely horrible but we had a dream and we wouldn't give up. our friends and family supported us 100%. 3 years pass... now we're in seperate colleges, but we've come a long way as musicians and we tear it up over breaks.

last year i found out my drummer friend Keith was diagnosed with brain cancer. he's the kind of guy who can solve a rubiks cube in 4 minutes. he lost his coordination and couldn't play drums anymore and his condition was getting worse, but throughout the entire ordeal he was the most positive guy i had ever had the privilege to meet. he and his family were strong in faith and supported each other. they prayed for him, and we (his friends and bandmembers) prayed for him. he was always apologizing for the hard times his family went through, and wanted to do the best he could to help them help him. he always acted as though it was a temporary condition and that he would kick its ass. when we went to see him, he would shrug it off and ask how we were doing.

i'm a very thankful man. yesterday my bassist told me that Keith had all but obliterated his brain cancer, and was suffering from none worse than a lack of hair on his head. Over break, he got an American Strat for Christmas, and he has begun to learn guitar and get his drumming skills back.

Just yesterday, he beat the crap out of me at ping pong and billiards. He's talking about rocking hard with the band over the summer, and I cannot be more grateful for his recovery.

Bryan, just be there for your brother and keep positive, keep your whole family positive, and I have a feeling that he can fight back and annihilate his cancer too.

rock on. and on, and on and on. \m/

-Kenneth

I'LL SAY A PRAYER FOR YOU AND YOUR BROTHER MAN. SINCE JANUARY I'VE LOST 6 FRIENDS 3 FROM CANCER AND THREE FROM OVERDOSES OF METHODONE AND XANAX...
I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE FEELING...
MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU AND YOUR BRO.
dAVE

Thanks, guys.

My mom is taking this the worst. And it sounds cheesy as hell, but a line from the Lord of the Rings movies comes to mind.

"No parent should have to bury their child."

And it echoes in my head. A lot. It's one thing to know your parents have lived long, full lives, seen their children grow up, and they've experienced everything in life. But it's entirely different to see young people being handed a death sentence like this. We had a friend pass away almost, no, actually now it's over two years ago, from cystic fibrosis. It kicked his ass. He was so deteriorated and helpless the last few months. And he passed two days before my brother's birthday. And we think about that each year. It's so very different when you know that a person has their life in jeopardy before they've lived through even half of it.

It's not fair. Not at all. But... I can't sit here and blame God, or blame ourselves, or ask for pity, or mope around about it. Cuz really... when you think about it, what about all those children who were born with musclular dystrophy? Or birth defects? Or cystic fibrosis? Or blind? Deaf? Retarded? AIDS? A million other diseases? Starving in Africa?

You know... it really changes how you look at life, when someone you love is staring at death.

I am close to my brother and would never want to go through what you are. But it sounds like your family is the fighting type and I truly believe that is the mentality that will help your brother beat the cancer. I am playing "The Guardian" right now (Fates) as you are his. Prayers for your whole family.

I am sorry tohear about your brother. My thoughts go out to you and your family. Just have faith and make sure he keeps that positive attitude.

Bryan316 said:
My brother discovered a tumor in his lower abdomen a few months ago. We had it checked out, and last week he underwent surgery to remove it. Last Friday they ran a C.T. scan to check his body. Yesterday morning, he was told the tumor was malignant, and the C.T. scan revealed what looked like "enlarged lymph nodes" on the back wall of his stomach, and several small spots on his lungs.

This changes everything about life.

So now, my brother's really looking at guitarplaying, and songwriting, and music in general a little differently. He sat down with us all, and told us this will not end our band. It will postpone it. Cuz he refuses to die for some damned disease.

Well... we're really looking differently at material possessions. And what he does, and how healthy he lives his life. No booze, no smoky environments, no spray paints, no anythings. Which also means, a drastic cutdown on the number of concerts he attends. Cuz once he starts whatever treatments he'll need to kick this cancer's ass, he'll get his ass kicked too.

But I'm going to make fuckin sure he gets to see Manticora live. REGARDLESS.

He's drooled over these guys like when he first discovered Iced Earth and before that MetallicA and Randy Rhoads. So fuck me if I'll let cancer keep him from coming to the greatest music festival in America.

I think this year, we'll just make plans to have our whole band come to the show this year. My lead guitarist knows there's some fantastic bands there, he just never got a chance to hear much of them. Well... besides what my drummer and I force feed his ears in between Dream Theater albums... so I'll give him a copy of a disc from each of this year's bands, and he'll most likely want to see this show.

Glenn... it's kinda scary to even mention it, but I hope you got a wheelchair section there. I certainly don't think it'll come that far, but hey, chemotherapy and radiation treatments affect different people differently. I certainly hope he's a strong enough guy to take this. He's got a helluva positive attitude to it, but who knows 7 months from now. We don't know.

So folks.... if you got a spare moment this weekend, play something really loud and really fast for him. We've got a long battle ahead of ourselves now.

DimebagShow18.JPG
ToledoShow09.JPG

Bryan,
Don't know you and I've never met you at Prog Power.....

But I guess that is the magic of a forum like this.

My heart, thoughts and prayers truly go out to you and your brother. Dealing with things like this, sadly, becomes part of your normal 'everyday' list of things to deal with as you get older. 14 months ago I had to sit in an ICU for a week after my mom's three plus year long battle with a form of anemia - couldn't communicate, hooked up to a breather, the whole works. And when there was nothing left to be done, since I was the her medical advocate, I had to tell them to stop treatment and let her go.... just a few weeks ago, my next door neighbor who I am tight with, his Mom succumbed to a terrible outbreak of cancer after suffering for six months... these kind of things forever change your thinking and your outlook on life.

Radiation and chemotherapy is hard on a body, especially for olkder people..... but your brother is young and has the right positive outlook. That is good - a positive mind can do amazing things. Truly amazing things.

I am 100% sure that anyone and everyone at the festival this year will do anything needed to make sure your brother's attendence is as easy as possible. If it comes to the wheelchair situation and there is difficulty someplace at the venue, just say the word - anyone one here who has read your post, all that's needed is a word said and I guarantee there will be many pairs of strong hands to carry that chair wherever it needs to go.

The person who dedicated Fates Warning's WISH was right on the money - but I just suddenly remembered some lyrics from a favorite PREIST song of mine that I hadn't thought of in YEARS - Blood Red Skies from Ram it Down. Pass these on to your brother from a complete stranger, but one who wishes him (and you) only the best

"You won't take me... you won't break me... I'll fight you under blood red skies......"

Tell him to stay focused - tell him to stay positive - and tell him to fight this fucking thing and kick its fucking ass.

And for yourself - Be strong too - take advantage of every moment together with your brother (god, I am tearing up just writing this). But above all, stay strong and help him stay strong.

With as many terrible things happen in this life we walk through, also remember that AMAZING things happen as well my friend.

Dave

Bryan,
Sorry to hear about your brother, as well as the other folks people mentioned. I wish you the best. My mom died from cancer 2 years ago and the best advice I can offer is to be strong and spend as much time with your brother as you can. Like going to PP; do things together that are important to both of you. I hope the treatment helps his situation. See you guys in Atlanta.

Mike

The song playing now is for you guys...

So sorry to hear your news Bryan. May your brother and family be triumphant in his battle. Over a year ago my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer and underwent a mastectomy. Her life is different now, but manageable. Some times are good, some times are rough - but, better than the alternative.

Always remember where there's hope there is life!