My CUSTOM FRETLESS!

MaskedJackal

4003 = <3
Aug 28, 2004
WA/MD- USA
www.squidlair.blogspot.com
So for my school project, I've been building a fretless..

Parts:
Carvin NT4 Neckthru Fretless Unlined Neck
Alder (for body sides, purchased from my mentor)
EMG-MMTW Stingray-style active pickup
Gotoh Tuners
Kahler 2440 Fixed Bridge
Duncan Straplocks
Comfort Strapp strap

Here's a few pics, not up to date, buttt.....more to come.

3/16/06- Installed Straploks and Gotoh Tuners

Yours truly checking out how the Gotohs fit:

bassprogress34du.jpg

bassprogress18li.jpg

bassprogress28im.jpg

As of today, I've also installed the bridge and the pocket for the pickup is routed. On Wednesday I'll begin routing for the other electronics. I'd love hear you guys' thoughts on the shape, etc. And by the way- NO NECKDIVE AT ALL! YAY!

After talking to Steve many years ago i got inspired... Took my Ibanez SR800, took the neck, pulled the frets out (of the orginal neck) filled the empty holes with liquid wood (match the color of neck). Light sanded and wax the neck and place back on the body. The sound was amazing... :headbang: enjoyed it for many years...

anyway, keep those photos coming, i really wanna see and hear the end product.
Goodluck!

By neckdive, do you mean the area that that neck gets wider to connect to the guitar body?

Interesting shape. I find the thickness of the upper arch somewhat odd, but not anything wrong with it. My first thought was actually how nicely that would sit on your leg and then went to the fact that the bottom is really wide. Made me think "Fat Bottom Girls". :lol:

NESFantasy said:
By neckdive, do you mean the area that that neck gets wider to connect to the guitar body?

Interesting shape. I find the thickness of the upper arch somewhat odd, but not anything wrong with it. My first thought was actually how nicely that would sit on your leg and then went to the fact that the bottom is really wide. Made me think "Fat Bottom Girls". :lol:

Ahaha! Thanks very much.

Neckdive is the neck's tendency to want to hang low due to the weight of the tuners- it's a balance issue. I guess the $40 Gotohs I got are just fine, because the bass balances perfectly.

Wow that is a very unique an original body design. I'm not really fond of the bottom part though. Doesn't really scream metal to me. Otherwise it looks good. Keep us posted.

4-String Annihilation said:
Wow that is a very unique an original body design. I'm not really fond of the bottom part though. Doesn't really scream metal to me. Otherwise it looks good. Keep us posted.

Thanks! I agree about the lower part, but the bass overall wasn't supposed to be metal. Hell, a lot basses used today by metal players don't look the part- Steve never played pointy basses until his ESP sponsorship, you know.

That said, I like some junk in the trunk, know what I mean? :kickass: :heh:

I understand what you are saying. But if your gonna play metal I think you should at least look the part IMO. You got the right shirt on! Can't wait for the new album.

Your either metal or your not!

4-String Annihilation said:
I understand what you are saying. But if your gonna play metal I think you should at least look the part IMO. You got the right shirt on! Can't wait for the new album.

Your either metal or your not!

Um, right. So is Steve Harris not metal because he plays a Fender Precision Bass, like many, many, many non-metal bassists?

Sorry dude, one CAN in fact be metal and listen to as well as play other styles of music..and I plan to play many more styles than just metal.

Like Opeth for example. PRS Guitars and Martin's Fender Jazz bass don't look metal, I don't think, or at least not like a BC Rich. That said, Mikey Akerfeldt could melt anyone's face with so little as a burp. And that band is heavy on so many levels.

Good idea to buy a neck. It is by far the hardest to make. I know this only because I did it. It took more time to make a jig to get the correct frett board radius than it did to actually do the radius. Then after all the hard work my truss rod stripped out and the whole thing was fucked. What school do you attend?

anno said:
Good idea to buy a neck. It is by far the hardest to make. I know this only because I did it. It took more time to make a jig to get the correct frett board radius than it did to actually do the radius. Then after all the hard work my truss rod stripped out and the whole thing was fucked. What school do you attend?

Much thanks! I'd likely have a similar fate.

I don't want to divulge the name of my school, as it is very small and you never know with the internet (no offense)....:ill: :err:

But it's small and artsy and in the Pacific Northwest (USA). I'm also doing a 25-page paper on bass design history. I'm graduating this June.

HippieOfDoom said:
...and I'm obviously not helping you get that paper done for your graduation...!
Sorry bro, hope you're in the mood for me to buy you a beer up in Seattle. Bring a stenographer!
SDG

Hahah! Well Steve, it IS due tommorow, so it's not too late! RESPOND NOW! Ahaha.

Yeah man! Let's chill in Seattle for suuuuure! It would be an HONOR! :headbang: :worship: