My drums got the clap!

wishtheend

clip the apex
Dec 29, 2005
SL, UT
Recorded 9 tracks of audio. 5-piece drum set (22 kick, 14 snare, 12 tom, 13 tom, 16 floor) with DDrum triggers fed directly into the Firepod. I also have 2 OH's (AKG C1000S) and 2 mics for ride and hats (MXL 993's). Now, when I print the drumagog tracks, I manually shift them back in line with original trigger track and have checked the alignment against the oh's and cymbal mics. But regardless of how I try to set it up, I'm still getting this "CLAP" sound from the snare. Anyone have any pointers or have had this same problem? I'm assuming it's going to be coming from the hihat mic, but not sure how to really fix this. Obviously the sound isn't going to reach all the mics at the same time, so do I not want to shift them and line them all up?

Here's a little clip to show what I'm talking about. Bare in mind that I didn't automate drumagog at all, so there are sections where the sensitivity is set to high and it doesn't pick up some of the quick/quieter stuff. I just threw the Sneap gog's on so you can hear what I mean (the clap seems to be coming from the left, but I can't tell).

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=99M66ESM

Thanks for any pointers/suggestions/or flame :kickass:

Wow, so informative. I am aware of the mistriggering on the kick (drumagog was not automated, just thrown on). I'm looking for suggestions on how to eliminate the snare "clap" effect that's happening.

Reactions: XtremeParanoia
Hi,

If you have access to a sidechain comp try inserting that on the
overhead tracks and trigger it with the Ddrum track of the snare.
That way you can get rid of some unwanted snare bleeding.

You said that you print all tracks? Go through the whole printed
snaretrack and make sure to align at least all noticeable "claps".
Use the Ddrum track as reference.

It'll take some time and effort but it's well worth it in the end.

Mike