100% real drums - for Paramore Covers; please comment.

Morgan C

MAX LOUD PRESETS¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney, Australia
www.myspace.com
Righto

Here are the drums i've been getting for the Paramore covers.

I'm still not totally happy with the snare. I went for a more ringy one and its not ringy enough through the OHs/room and way too ringy in the close-mics. I think I might go for a more dead snare, at least that'll sound fine through the close-mics and 'good enough' throug the OHs/Room.

Anyway, apologies for the uber sloppy playing at the end. Its just the wrong tempo and its weird hitting the crash on every kick and if I hit it on every second then the cymbals in its backswing and it fucks up. So. Ugh.

Mixed clip:
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/324723/ParamoreDrumsMixed.mp3

Raw drums (cycles thru them all - OHs, kick, snare, room, all):
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/324723/ParamoreDrumsRaw.mp3

I will hopefully be tracking these tomorrow, so please comment, anything at all will help!

edit: there's no tom mics in there, I'll be sampling them from the OHs later. They sound wicked though.

Guys please comment, even if its just to say what you like or not, you don't have to be someone who regularly tracks drums (or has, ever) to help out. I just need comments by tomorrow.

I'm thinking I'm gonna go with a higher pitched snare. I own at getting that type of snare, and this type just isn't working (plus I don't think I have the room for it).

nah, you can fix it in the marketing :)

but in all seriousness, if the tone might need or might not need higher pitch for the snare depends on the rest of the mix, and especially how much it cuts thru the guitartone.

PS: you could've also played the toms a bit too

I think it all sounds really good man, but yeah, it'd be nice to have a bit more ring to work with though.

Could always just get creative with compressor settings to bring the sustain out a bit more.

Also, Effy is so fucking cuuuteeeeee :D <3

nah, the snare tuning is cool to my ears. I'll always tune reasonably low if the heads are new

edit: ^ I'd also say go crazy with some parallel compression to get a bit of ring. A wide 4/5db boost in the 200hz region will fatten that snare up. You might have to notch out anything from 200-250 if that low end boost causes some crazy resonant ringing though - keep the cut very narrow though.

nah, the snare tuning is cool to my ears. I'll always tune reasonably low if the heads are new

edit: ^ I'd also say go crazy with some parallel compression to get a bit of ring. A wide 4/5db boost in the 200hz region will fatten that snare up. You might have to notch out anything from 200-250 if that low end boost causes some crazy resonant ringing though - keep the cut very narrow though.

yeah if he puts a bigass 200hz boost before the comp, gets some massive ring out of it and then compresses with fairly regular settings (20-30ms attack, 120ms release, -5 GR) it'd slam the ring back down and keep it in line with everything else.

it'd be coooool

nah, you can fix it in the marketing :)

but in all seriousness, if the tone might need or might not need higher pitch for the snare depends on the rest of the mix, and especially how much it cuts thru the guitartone.

PS: you could've also played the toms a bit too

Unfortunately the rest of the mix is recorded after the drums :)

I'll mess a bit more with the ring tomorrow but I doubt I'll improve on this much.

The toms were played a bit I think, but no close-mics on them (they will be samples). Samples are here (raw):http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/324723/Drums4Oct Raw.mp3
The last bit on that clip is raw. No EQ, no gates. Best mic in teh worlddd.

Still my favourite snare sound! Nothing to criticize.

Still..?

I think it all sounds really good man, but yeah, it'd be nice to have a bit more ring to work with though.

Could always just get creative with compressor settings to bring the sustain out a bit more.

Also, Effy is so fucking cuuuteeeeee :D <3

Listening to the drum mix on that CLA vid Ermz posted always shits me. My OH sound is seriously not that bad, I need to hang up some rugs up to deaden it a bit as mine is a bit more 'alive', but its the snare that gets me.

I am working with a metal snare though. That 'ring' is usually associated with wooden snares.

The more ring I get in my overheads, though, the worse the close-mics sound. I want a nice 'pop' in my close-mics and thats IT, and then I want this endless sustainy ring in my OHs/Room. Samples or a really fucking fast gate (but even that doesn't totally solve it) seem to be the only solutions.

And yeh, <3 Effy. Its hard to find pics of her that don't make me look like a pedo though.

edit;
this [http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/324723/23aug, Snare, Rec (8).mp3]
is the kind of snare sound I'm used to. I pretty much always tune my snare that way, and I'm probably going to go that way for this, if I can't get a good ring on one last attempt tomorrow.

The kick sounds a bit too tight for Paramore.

Less muffling maybe? I'm not trying to nail the Riot sound, just get a good sound that fits. I can't really go for less muffling without cutting up the blanket I've got inside. Maybe I can shift it around a bit.

[UEAK]Clowd;8595915 said:
what the hell did you do to the snare in the mix? that sounds legit!!

Dunno, EQ, comp, gate and maybe a transient designer. And verb. I don't like it. ;p

I'm gonna try tuning the snare top up and the snare bottom down, and if that doesn't get me what I want then I'll just go for my usual snare sound.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Just got all the drums done. Still don't like the snare through the close-mic, but everything else sounds good everywhere else.
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/324723/Paramore Drums.zip

There are the raw files (short snippet, as mp3, no editing).

Have a play around and post what you come up with. :)

Sorry there are no tom close mics in there yet. Samples will be there in final thing. Just use Chimaira toms or whatever.

This sounds awesome man! Will you be recording the drums for all the paramore songs that the forum cover ?

really really liking the snare and tom sound!

This sounds awesome man! Will you be recording the drums for all the paramore songs that the forum cover ?

really really liking the snare and tom sound!

Yeah
I knocked em all over today. Just gotta edit them which shouldn't take very long, I was fairly tight for the most part, mostly just the kicks that were a bit off cos my springs are loose.

Yeah
I knocked em all over today. Just gotta edit them which shouldn't take very long, I was fairly tight for the most part, mostly just the kicks that were a bit off cos my springs are loose.

Fair play man, which songs did you get done ?