Drums with 100% real snare... finally :D

Ok, tracked vocals today. Our vocalist still isnt 100% there but he's getting better. This is just a rough mix, I'm having a really hard time getting these vocals to sit, I don't know why or what I can do. Any tips much appreciated. They sound like they're swimming in reverb or something but they're not. Espcially on the last chorus (By the way.. that last note is completely untuned. So proud :D). Everything before the last chorus is untouched as well, but I may have to fix a few things on the second chorus. Guitars are all TSE X30, bass is from rockband cos we don't have a bassist.

I updated my first post with this link as well, don't download twice.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/324723/Kill1Dec2.mp3

My god.

The acoustic one..
IS

AMAZING.

Don't change a thing about the vocals.

I think the reverb suits his voice VERY nicely.
Especially since the clean guitar is pretty verby!
:)

This is outstanding.
:)

I love the snare to be honest, the kick is ruining it for me personally granted im listening on a laptop, but my got that click :S

But overall great job. The cymbals are a big gongy in the lows, shit term I know, but something about them smacks instead of shimmers!

Sorry for not being the best help there :p

Haven't listened to it yet, but from all the good comments I'm reading I have to ask:

What's the mic setup for the drums/acoustic?

Haven't listened to it yet, but from all the good comments I'm reading I have to ask:

What's the mic setup for the drums/acoustic?

Sm57 on snare; PG81 on overheads, e902 on kick. Pearl Export (with a really nice snare) in a garage :)Puke:).

Acoustic and vocals were also PG81.

I love the snare to be honest, the kick is ruining it for me personally granted im listening on a laptop, but my got that click :S

But overall great job. The cymbals are a big gongy in the lows, shit term I know, but something about them smacks instead of shimmers!

Yeh, the e902 is very clicky. I worked with it a bit more, but its more of a metal mic than a rock one (unless I do the rock tunnel.. which I should have, oh well).
And I for some reason disabled my EQ on the overheads, which led to the gonginess. Fixed now.

Just polishing up this mix, then I'll post it, should be pretty much final.

Would anyone be interested in having a go at mixing this? I can upload the raw tracks for you all.. have a go at mixing some real drums and a pretty complex song (production-wise, going from a very sparse mix to a very metal mix). I still consider myself a noob at tracking and editing (mixing is def. my forte), so the tracks are by no means perfect, but they're decent. All vocals except for the last chorus were tracked with just monitors blaring, so there's quite a bit of bleed. Probably won't be doing that again.

FML I'm 99% sure the guitars at the end are a bit out of tune. I checked tuning >< But that 'come' at the start always sounds off, even though its 100% autotuned. Fuck.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/324723/The Kill 2Dec.mp3
Final(?) version

Just listened to it on my good headphones, the snare and kick sound great man. The playing is great man.

For critique, I'd say the electric guitars could use a little more highpass or maybe some band compression, those lows are a little rumbly. I also am not fond of those OH sounds, has a weird freq spike that's making them sound strange to me. PG81 you say? Are those the cheaper SM81 copies?

Just listened to it on my good headphones, the snare and kick sound great man. The playing is great man.

For critique, I'd say the electric guitars could use a little more highpass or maybe some band compression, those lows are a little rumbly. I also am not fond of those OH sounds, has a weird freq spike that's making them sound strange to me. PG81 you say? Are those the cheaper SM81 copies?

Hmm, I boosted the electric guitar's lows a lot to match the acoustic guitars lowmids but I think the acoustic guitars might have too much lowmids. I haven't really referenced this with other mixes yet, so I gotta check.

And yeh PG81s are cheap SM81s. I'm not hearing the weird spike, altho I don't like how my hats sound through them.