My Event Opal Story

Joshua Wickman

Yes Sir!
Feb 11, 2009
Michigan
Many of you know i was trying to sell my opals recently. I tried some mixing on them and just could not get it right for the life of me. Well after a few months of trying to sell and not much interest, i decided to give them another shot on some mixing. When i hooked them up after about 10 minutes i started getting this weird static noise on the left monitor. Then like 2 minutes later this really terible sounding loud burst of noise happened. I was in shock as no music was playing or anything and it was really loud. Scared the shit out of me!!!

Well i checked out all the conections to be safe and then went on to play some music a few minutes later to see what happened and if my Opals still even worked. The left one which made the loud noise was only playing through the woffer now. So the tweeter blew up and that was the sound it makes when it goes.

Next i contacted Sweetwater and Event and got set up for warranty repair. I sent them in and come to find out i had two bad amps, one bad woffer and a blown tweeter. I just got my Opals back yesterday and they sound absolutely AMAZING!
I think having all these problems played a big roll in why i could not mix on them. Now they are dead silent and just have such a huge tight low end with a nice smooth top and a perfect detail in the mids. So, so glad i did not sell them and that the tweeter blew up. :lol:

Time to go listen to some music on them and start my day!

that's really cool man, i'm glad you got it sorted and ended up finding them to your liking.

i'm gonna say it, though; that kinda shakes Event's credibility for me... i mean, TWO faulty monitors to a single customer? that's a three-grand monitor pair. should never happen if you ask me

Stranger things have happened to more expensive and reputable things.

Yea i'm just glad i did not get raped on shipping and Sweetwater handled most of it. This monitors are big hand heavy and not cheap to ship across the country. I only had to ship to Sweetwater and they are the in the state right below me and ended up being 50.00. Sweetwater handled the rest of the shipping from there. Thank god for Sweetwater's 2 year after care plan or i might be singing a different tune right now! If i had to pay hundreds to get these fixed i would have been furious.

Honestly it's hard to get started working, i'm just enjoying listening to all my favorite albums right now. :heh:

haha, i knew it! welcome to the wonderful world of music through a pair of opals! ;-)

Yeah this didn't help my gas one bit. You know what annoys me about this forum and opals? When people I've followed for a while get them and not only do they say how much their mixes have improved, I can hear the results and say to myself "yes that definitely got a lot better." Ermz is a great example of this, you could really hear the improvement in his work after he got them, and when he got more outboard. Not saying that the gear is the reason why but it definitely doesn't help with the GAS!

Yeah this didn't help my gas one bit. You know what annoys me about this forum and opals? When people I've followed for a while get them and not only do they say how much their mixes have improved, I can hear the results and say to myself "yes that definitely got a lot better." Ermz is a great example of this, you could really hear the improvement in his work after he got them, and when he got more outboard. Not saying that the gear is the reason why but it definitely doesn't help with the GAS!

i hear ya!

This, they would have tanned your ass if you hadn't known about it.

Opal want-level reaching critical levels.

Legend has it they even beat the barefoots....

I may have to bring back a set next time I am in the states.

Heres what one guy said about them though :lol: Sounds like he had Josh's set :heh:

"In my very humble opinion, the Opals are nothing but a big bad marketing joke. I would put them in the lounge for the occasional partey. But critical listening and decision making? No fvcking way. "