My first attempt using a cab impulse (clip inside)

DannyM

New Metal Member
Mar 1, 2002
San Antonio, Texas
home.satx.rr.com
I normally mic up my cabs and record stuff that way, but this new room that I'm in is a converted garage. We insulated the walls.....but it still has the reverb or echo-ness of an empty garage. We put some vynl tile over the concrete in here but that didnt help.....the space combined with the concrete makes for a shitty recording room.

So I read about cab impulses and decided to try that. Glad I found it cause I was getting really fustrated with the recorded tones I was getting in this room.

Anyway...here is a clip I made yesterday during my lunch break.

http://www.slaytanicdannym.com/HellAwaitsIntro-01.mp3

Its my JVM 410H's pre amp direct into an Mbox 2 mini into cubase with a 1960A cab impulse.
One track panned left, one panned right.

No fx or post eqing or anything.

I think with some tweaking and dialing in I can get it to sound good and authentic.

Any suggestions?

Not bad for a first try. It's lacking some balls but that could possibly be fixed using a curve eq or something.

Try some of guitarhack's impulses. They slay! There is so much you can with when recording using impulses and the good thing is that you can change it as much as you want after recording the track. You may want to do a search here for curve eq. There was a pack someone put up not too long ago that had some great presets that you can tweak.

Hell yeah! Sounds just as I'd think a JVM410 would sound through a 1960A cab ;)

But, the poweramp adds plenty of bass, so you could compensate it, unless the impulse was made through a guitar amp. Then of course you have the poweramp response in the IR.