My First Clip

Obscura

Mar 16, 2004
www.myspace.com
I've been a fairly quiet member here for a few years and I'd finally like to post something my band recorded last weekend. I'm the assistant to the engineer when we record so this definitely is NOT my engineering. The tracks are raw; no eq, no compression, no panning, and the faders were left where they were when I finished tracking guitars. It's just a raw sample of the guitar tone that I'm going for. I ran my ESP 7 strings into a Rackmount Rectifier and a Boogie .50 Caliber running into a Recto cab and Metaltastic's Engl cab. Here's the clip:

http://www.soundclick.com/Starkweather

And here is an enormously detailed post with photos of the recording session. There's tons of pictures of amps, pre's, mic positions, etc. and I kind of wrote the whole thing with the intent of posting it on here. It's pretty heavy on the technical aspects of the recording:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=17977834&blogID=442434549

Yeah, I know, especially with 4 layers going on. These really are raw tracks; the drums are WAY down, the bass unruly, blah blah blah but it's just a snapshot. It wasn't really meant to be viewed as anything close to finished but just sort of an introduction. What's probably the more interesting part for you guys on this forum is the studio report and the photos. It was written with this forum in mind because I've gained an enormous amount from you guys, especially OzNimbus and his love for the COC-Blind drum tone. I'll definitely post the final mix next month.

Hey Todd, sorry it took me awhile to get to checking this out - it's freakin' chaotic as all hell dude, but in a good way, I dig it! I love the guitar feedback/whammy business going on over everything, and the rhythm tone has got some great beef, though I feel the guitars definitely should come up and could use a fair amount more presence to cut better (also, great snare playing, but the drum is too loud IMO). Hopefully this isn't too late to be worth anything, but either way, keep me posted dude! :headbang:

Also, the photos are freakin' gnarly, I'll be spending a good while obsessing over all this gear pr0n!! :lol: