My First Full Instrumental Mix

Code001

Jun 27, 2006
South FL
This is the first mix I've ever done with every instrument in it (guitar, bass, synth, drums). I'm doing everything on my HD 555s, so stuff can be a bit hard to grasp in terms of "space" considering I have no monitors.

In terms of tone, I was going for that "soaked" 80s rock kinda vibe. The guitars are quad tracked, and the leads are dual tracked. It's not quite as tight as I'd want it to be, but considering I recorded it a year or so ago and am too lazy to duplicate the tone, I figured I'd leave it be for the time being. The MIDI is 100% gridlocked at the moment, but I thought I'd get some opinions as to how it sounds before I start messing with that stuff.

Right now, I feel the bass is a bit high in the mix, but I also kinda feel it really helps fill in the guitars. The synth kinda jumps out at me at the beginning, but it quickly settles down. Is that just my ears getting used to it? Thoughts?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7077071/Blue Water Blue Sky.mp3

Gear: RG1527 w/ AN7/Evo7, SM57, Firebox, Mesa Trad. 4x12, Mark III, Rackto, DKFH, Trilian, Ozone 3, Logic 8

Yeah, the synth is super cheesy. I should probably note that this is a cover song. Here is one version of the original song:

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like Mark III sound, maybe you could humanize snare little bit.

just a matter of taste