My first half decent mix

lanky noob

Jan 13, 2012
The shire, UK
http://soundcloud.com/jack-baker/aint-no-saviour

so basically here's my first mix that i'm relativly proud of, has anyone got any tips? :)
by the way i'm using logic express 9 with no extra plug ins/sample packs downloaded, so i'm limited to what i can do, and i'm a complete and utter noob when it comes to mixing

ps. i know the overall level is really quiet and the drums need to come up a bit, but any help at all is SERIOUSLY appreciated :)

cheers :) how do you suggest i could go about sorting out the kick? sorry to be a pain in the ass but as the name suggests, i'm literally a COMPLETE novice at this :p

its cool man, we were all noobs once. here's what my kick EQ usually looks like. I have a lo-shelf at about 160hz, boosting maybe 2-4dBs depending on what it needs. then boost around 50-60hz, adjust the Q to suite the mix. then I do a massive cut anywhere from 300-500hz, with a pretty wide Q. And I really take a lot out, like 12dBs or sometimes even more, again depending on the kick. then just do a hi-shelf to add that clicky-ness. this should be around 8-10kHz, but sometimes as low as 6kHz. dont be afraid to boost a lot here. generally the rule with EQ is that you never want to boost much more than like 8dBs. But with a metal-style kick, we're really going for an effect here, so we can ignore that rule in this case.