My first live performance

Hydrate yourself. I can't tell you how many times I've had to yell for water on stage because I forgot to bring some up there before hand. cold beer is good for a while, but you'll want WATER for damn sure. Course I sweat like cheese in the sun, though.

ANother thing,, cords. Make sure your cords are long enough to handle a big stage. Our fist gig was on a big ass stage, and my amp-to-pedal cords were too short so I had to turn around for every patch change for that show. That little shit turns into problems if you play out alot.

Ah good call I need to buy new cords...mine are shoddy as hell.

In about a month I'll be playing with my band in one of the nicer clubs in Amsterdam. It is my first live performance, as I've only been playing for about 5 years. The other band members are way older, far more experienced and have already had several live performances. Needless to say I've got a lot to live up to.

Any tips? Do's and dont's for a first live performance?

I was in the same boat about three years ago. I'd been playing guitar for ages but had never been on stage with a band.
Our first gig was in March or April, I had been rehearsing with them since January. I was nervous for every gig untill about August that year :p and still got nervous again at some of our bigger gigs after that.
It's natural, use it to your advantage. Just try to keep calm, but allow your self to play/ react off the cuff.
Hell, even though I knew I'd be nervous, I even tried out with one of our largest local prog bands down here late last year. I practiced my ass of for about three weeks prior. I was pretty nervous when the first few notes were played, but when it was all going smoothly, I relaxed and had a blast.

I guess if there's a really big bit of advice to give, it would be play and practice your ass off before hand. I'm only ever nervous that I will stuff up and people will notice and think I'm shitter than I really am :p , so the preperation and mental state are something I try to work on.

damn, had our first show a day ago and I have to get back on stage! :D
awesome, we screwed some parts and by gitar players and bass player were pretty stiff, but we had a blast and got just good feedback so far. the only thing that some guy mentioned we're some untight drums.

we made a huge mistake at soundcheck, played 30 sec of a song, hadn't planed that, so we took the first, that came to mind. big failure, our drummer hadn't noticed that he just heared noise and no guitar...
we changed nothing in the monitor mix :/

into the 2nd song I boxed myself with my mic and began bleeding :D

and it almost seems like we're the ones who're never satisfied with what we do, even if everybody else likes it, just want to push it further ;)

first picture I got
l_e3632c6274584f19a59bf5dcb11f6cbb.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g9trwoPbxE&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

damn, had our first show a day ago and I have to get back on stage! :D
awesome, we screwed some parts and by gitar players and bass player were pretty stiff, but we had a blast and got just good feedback so far. the only thing that some guy mentioned we're some untight drums.

we made a huge mistake at soundcheck, played 30 sec of a song, hadn't planed that, so we took the first, that came to mind. big failure, our drummer hadn't noticed that he just heared noise and no guitar...
we changed nothing in the monitor mix :/

into the 2nd song I boxed myself with my mic and began bleeding :D

and it almost seems like we're the ones who're never satisfied with what we do, even if everybody else likes it, just want to push it further ;)

first picture I got
1-4e342ac2449c86947808800c700d3762.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g9trwoPbxE&feature=player_embedded

Oh thats a nice stage for a first show! Intense music too :headbang:

sorry to say it but eh...tuning? someone playing is a good few cents out of tune! looks fun though!

yeah, exactly what I sayed to our guitar players weeks before the show, but the response was like "you're a singer what do you know"...
i've read that here and tried it, will try it again :/

Oh thats a nice stage for a first show! Intense music too :headbang:

thanks! we were really lucky with the stage, to bad that we were the only metalband there, but had a good side also.
some friends sayed when we soundchecked, with some 30 sec of a song there were some people at the camping ground like: "wtf is that? hurry, lets get there!" we drawn all attention from metal lovers :D

dude in 2 years in college it was practically beaten into us! tuning in my eyes is the number 1 most important thing. grab your guitarist by the hair and punch him until he cries...(that was horriffic woo...apologies! haha)

Badass Mark, and I'm glad to see you were able to work out using your Blackmore after all! :D Is that an unmarked Marshall it's plopped on?

Badass Mark, and I'm glad to see you were able to work out using your Blackmore after all! :D Is that an unmarked Marshall it's plopped on?

Yes it is, and I rather liked it to be honest. Had a nice growl to it! Blackmore performed admirably, cut through the mix really well.

I'm probably going to get shot down hard for this, but ow well.

Last edited by a moderator: