My first master keyboard

Dec 13, 2011
France
www.facebook.com
Yo everyone,
I need a master keyboard to write some epic stuff with vsti's (mainly). I was looking up the latest keyboards but also found some models were often mentioned.
Budget would be around 300 euros max. I am intrigued by the axiom 49 and I can get a used one for a good price.

I was wondering though if getting a more recent keyboard would be wiser like an akai mpk 249. I don't need to move it around it'll stay on my desk and if its any help I use cubage 5.2 (surely will upgrade in the future).

What do you guys think ? Any particular keyboards I should look at ?

It seems like the norm that people here go for small, flimsy kbs like that.. To me a proper controller needs to have 88 keys with fully weighted action on them.

I would recommend you take a look at a P105 from Yamaha (costs more than the one you posted, but you get a real instrument in return).

Yamaha key beds are quite nice, I bought a CP33 earlier this year, and even though it's very basic in terms of sounds (which is what I was looking for, actually) those kbs are on par with a Clavinova (graded hammer action from bottom to top, and fully weighted keys). Worth every penny.

Depends on your preference. If you want it to feel like you're playing an actual piano, go for something with fully weighted hammer action.

However you may find them quite annoying for playing synths and the like, but I'd at least check out something with semi weighted keys, non weighted feel bizarre.

I have an Axiom 61, does what I need it to do, and can definitely recommend them, I don't have any of this hypercontrol or intelligent mapping stuff on mine as it's a V1 model, so can't speak for that part of the newer models.

I have the Axiom 49. It does the job just fine but installing the directlink for Cubase 7 was a pain in the ass.

Thanks for the fast answers folks :)

I don't think i need a 88 keys keyboard, it seems too much for what i'll use it for. Plus i'm not a piano player at all, even though i like to fool around sometimes.

Burny : 1st or 2nd gen axiom ?

I would wait for the new Alesis V and VI series. They look pretty slick and should be coming out pretty soon.

alright guys, couldn't stand the wait so grabbed an axiom 49 2nd gen for 90 euros :D

I did the factory reset by pressing patch up + down buttons while powering on.
Installed the latest software and driver.
First try : Thing isn't working on cubase 5.2
But it's pretty weird. Let me explain (sorry if i'm using incorrect terms, i'm translating from a french cubase version as i go along...).

Each time i use a control on the keyboard, the "midi in" activity on the transport reacts, proof that the keyboard is detected.
In Device setup menu under midi all the keyboard's port are detected and active.
But when i click on the "+" button on the top left hand side of the same menu. The keyboard's name doesn't show up. I can't select the directlink in & out to map the keyboard.

I suspect i could have installed the wrong software versions as there are a lot of them, i did try a few and still nothing works.

May i have some help please ? It's pretty frustrating especially when i don't know what is the cause.

Je ne me rappelle plus exactement, mais il faut que tu vérifies si l'install n'a pas créé un dossier "Cubase 6" dans tes programmes. Si c'est le cas faut que tu ailles chercher AxiomCubaseDirectLink.dll dans ce dossier et que tu le copies dans le dossier "components" de ton vrai Cubase (5 en l’occurrence).