FAQ: Live shows with backing tracks - HOW TO?

I went ahead and ordered that art box. This setup is going to work FANTASTIC, and that is all I have to say.

For shits n giggles I loaded up a clean DI into the music player of my phone and played that track into a reamp box. It worked.

But it also seems to do a good job taking the -10 line and converting to balanced +4. Fuck the hell yeah.

I was having glitchy issues with a computer, this is so much simpler a setup and easy to have a couple backups on the cheap. Total investment including headphones and cable:

$250 (ish). It could be cheaper if the headphone amp I was using was cheaper, actually it could be a lot cheaper. I have a presonus HP4 that I'm using that I picked up when they were only $100. I'm not including the cost of the mp.3 player though.

I've started using backing tracks with my band recently, because our latest record has a lot of harmonies and synths that are crucial to the sound. We started with the basic "MP3-Player + Y-cable + DI-box setup + small mixer" setup. Backtracks and click hard panned from the player. Then Y-cable, backtracks go to DI-box and to FOH, and click goes into a drummer's mixer into which his headphones are plugged in.

But lately we've made some backing videos that have to be synchronized with audio. So now I use my laptop with Reaper that plays the same hard-panned backtracks and click through built-in audio device instead of MP3-player. And it simultaneously plays video files (laptop has VGA output port that connects to the projector). I thought of using my Saffire LE and do stereo backing tracks and realtime automated vocal processing, but its bad firewire drivers, bad firewire-expresscard adapter and more cables would increase the probability of failure for the entire setup.
I've made a neat setup in Reaper so that it goes into a short loop after every song and there is a hotkey to exit this loop and continue the show. There are also hotkeys to jump to any song on a setlist. Works fine so far.
I'm also thinking of getting a simple USB MIDI interface to send automated MIDI commands to guitarists' FX-processors. In theory there even has to be a way to control light rig (if we had one haha) with MIDI-to-DMX device or something.

So that setup worked great, gave it a test today.

Turnes out that using an XLR to 1/4" got me a summed mono track from one side of that art box I bought so no headphone amp was needed.

So the setup was as fallows:

ipad loaded with a mono mix of the songs on the left side with a loud as fuck click track (I actually let the click track clip, it doesn't matter in this situation since I'm the only one listening to it) and for this show the DI tracks of the guitar on the right... yeah we are rocking a guitarless band at the moment, trying to remedy that though asap so this can become the keyboards and effects instead.

That goes to a 1/8" trs to red/white RCA cord

That gets plugged into the art clean box pro

The clean box pro has a planet waves XLR femal to TRS female adapter (this is where I plug in the headphones) sticking out of one of the balanced line outs and the other line out has a XLR to XLR cable that goes to

The reamp v.2 box at the amplifier

The reamp has a short 1' long guitar cable to go from reamp to recto.

I used several stuff for playing backing tracks with my band.
Long time ago, laptop and firewire card.
Then fostex hard disk mixer/recorder.
It was always with stereo backtracks.

But for quick and simple, we switches to simple stereo files (click left, mono samples right), with a short mixer for the drummer, run with an iphone.

After this we start to use video sync with the samples, with an ipad, but believe me or not, there are no app able to run stereo backtracks files, with stereo click track, running an external soundcard and playing at the same time a video track in full screen of the hdmi/vga port adapter of the ipad....

We are still forced to use a simple video files withe stereo audio track, panned with click on the right ans samples on the left for'exemple.

I chase several developpers such Syncinside or iMix to support either external'sound card or video files, but nothing exists yet....because ipad/iphone are great for'stability and easy setup.

Have a look at our products at www.cymaticaudio.com I think you will appreciate the simplicity we bring to backing tracks as well as live recording! Hope this helps!

If you have any questions about our products feel free to contact me directly at 330-360-9558 or tom@cymaticaudio.com

Regards,

Tom Sailor

FAQ: USING BACKING TRACKS IN LIVE SHOWS

Since this question pops around every now and then I thought that I decided to make FAQ about it. I have mixed about 40 different bands with backing tracks (three of them on tour and rest as in-house engineer) that had four different variations and I know some bands do a fifth variation too. I will only list the budget versions here on this tutorial.

I am NOT endorsing any of the products listed in this text. They are there just as an example.

With backing tracks I don't mean drummer triggers stuff like subdrops with a pad like Roland SPD-S*, but full song length tracks that play throughout the whole song.

* For some reason SPD-S seems to be the only sampler where you can load your own samples I have come across on the road during the past 4 years. And actually on my first touring band I mixed the drummer used one of those. I love it. Linkin Parks DJ uses something else, but they don't count as they aren't drummer pads.

Basic configuration setup

Basic configuration is same for all setups that you need:

- Playback device that has two signals: backing tracks and click

- You also need cables and DI-boxes (just in case the venue doesn't have them; and NEVER rely on the assumption that they do)

- 90% of the time the drummer is the one who controls the playback device, so they have to know how to use the device. In case the drummer is technically disabled, let someone else handle the device (I've been on a tour where the guitarist was using the playback device)

- Drummer also NEEDS the in-ear monitoring system, as you don't want to hear the click bleed to the audience from the floor wedges. This is not negotiable

So how does it work?

- You get separate signal to FOH/monitor mixer and drummer gets a separate click directly from the playback device.

- Drummer gets mono click directly from the sound source to their in-ears, and monitor feed from FOH- or monitor-mixer to in-ears or to the floor wedge (preference question really, usually they want the kick and bass to the wedge if this kind of split monitoring is possible)

- If the rest of the band wants to hear the backing tracks (usually they do), you send it to them via their floor wedges, sidefills, in-ears or what ever method they are using for monitoring

Some semi-nessecary preparations

- Always add (depending on the tempo) 4-16 bars of just click to the beginning of the track for the drummer, and make the drummer count in the song if it doesn't have a backing track intro

- Always leave plenty of headroom on the backing tracks, preferrably 12dB or more and TEST THE SETUP BEFORE YOU GO ON TOUR. You need a very basic mixer with master bus metering and the playback device connected the way you will connect it on the tour. Connect the device to mixer and see that the master level is peaking at max between -30 and -12dB on the meters when the pad is not engaged and the gain knob is at minimum. The mixers always have preamps on them, but you don't want the output to clip. You never know if the mixer doesn't have a PAD on them (like Midas Venice for example). This happened to me on one tour where this became a semi-serious problem when doing the monitor feeds... See configuration 3 for more info on this.

- Leave plenty of empty space at the end of the songs (preferably even up to 10-30 minutes if possible) so that the drummer doesn't need to rush to the playback device at the end of the song if the next track is coming but the band is not ready. If you are going to play two or more tracks straight without any breaks, put them into the "same song"

- To reduce possibility of risk, ALWAYS take the click signal DIRECTLY from the playback device to the drummers in-ear monitor without taking it thru the FOH/monitor-mixer. Has never happened to me, but I've heard horror stories where the click is blasting at 120dB to the audience and the backing track cable isn't connected anywhere.

- Keep the setup as simple and small as possible: DON'T bring your desktop computer with screen, keyboard, mouse, dongles and anything that breaks disables all usability of the rig and/or requires 10 minutes to build together and tear down. Sound source + DI-box = win. If you can rack mount the whole thing, all the better.

- In case you are on a tour and you are using any of these setup, ALWAYS bring a backup and have it connected or quickly connectable. The configuration 1 below is a good backup setup than no backing tracks at all. You can NEVER be too sure when it comes to technology.

Drummer In-ears monitoring system

In-Ear monitoring for the drummer might sound something costly and fancy, but in reality the basic setup is not. Because drummer usually doesn't move from their throne, you don't need wireless in-ears, so wired will do fine and you can get the whole deal for less than 200€.

You just need:

- a small mixer with atleast 1 XLR inputs for the monitor feed and 1 jack input for the click feed. I have seen the Behringer Xenyx 1002 with two XLR inputs a lot (I also have one myself), and it costs about 80€

- a pair of insulating earbuds (about 30-200€)

IMPORTANT:

When you set up the mixer, do NOT let the signal clip to the drummers in-ear on the mixer, because it can cause PERMANENT hearing damage.

CONFIGURATION 1 - stereo setup

Mono backing track, mono click for drummer

Rough estimate: 100€ and up

1 - mp3 player (iPod or similar)
1 - 1/8" stereo jack to two 1/4" mono jacks adapter
1 - DI-box

Alternative sound sources:

- laptop with only stereo output
- CD/DVD-player; I don't recommend them because they have a really big chance of skipping

Preparations:

- When doing the mono backing tracks, pan music hard left and click hard right. Remember to keep it constant that on ALL tracks that left is audio and right is click. Remember to mark the cables (WHITE is left/audio, RED is right/click) to prevent confusion. And test it out on the line-/sound-check that it's properly connected.

- If you can mute the mp3-players "next track" sound, mute it.

- Make a playlist of the tracks so that you can just press "next track"

PROS AND CONS:

+ Small and cheap
+ Good to have as backup setup
- Mono backing tracks only
- Sound quality on the mp3 players usually isn't top notch
- Can run out of batteries

CONFIGURATION 2: computer + interface with 4 outputs

Stereo backing track, mono out for drummer + 1 spare mono for possibly another player

Rough estimate: 500€ and up

1 computer (preferrably a laptop with SSD or flash hard drive)
1 interface with 4 or more outputs
1 DAW (preferrably something without a dongle like garage band, logic, reaper...)
3-4 - balanced TRS to TRS plugs
2 DI-boxes (3 if you want to use the fourth feed)

Preparations:

- Disable screen saver and password prompting from the computer. This is not negotiable. Buy a cheaper laptop like one of those 6" mini-laptops with flashdrive HDD if you are afraid that your 1 month old MacBook Pro will get stolen.

- If using a laptop, always use the power cord just in case and make sure that the battery works in case the power cord gets accidentally unplugged for some reason

- If possible, use a laptop with SSD hard-drives as the hard drives with spinning disks can cause skipping and/or break from vibration

- Create a single DAW project and add markers for each song, leave marker window open for quick navigation

- Process the audio tracks to single stereo file, do not run them as sessions with plugins, automation and shit, because you don't want to risk the session fucking up

- Put the buffer size to the max so you don't get even accidental crackling

- The music comes from the stereo output, drummer gets a click and then you have one more spare output

- If another member starts one song, they can get the click for that song in the beginning and send it to the fourth output. Works only if the band member(s) in question use in-ear monitoring too.

- If you use a reamp-box and amps, you can play guitars live playback too (I know Torniojaws has done this!)

+ stereo backing tracks
+ Good audio quality
- Relatively costly
- Can cause skipping

CONFIGURATION 3: multitrack recorder

6 outputs, 1 click feed for drummer and one spare

Rough estimate: 2000€ and up

- 1 ADAT/Hard drive recorder (like Alesis HD 24 or Fostex )
- 8 DI-boxes (preferably rack mounted)
- alternatively to DI-boxes a 8 TRS to 8 XLR snake (preferrably a long one)
- 1 19" rack that holds all this

Alternative sound sources:

- Computer + interface with 8 or more outputs

Preparations:

- This setup is handy if your band members want different stuff to their in monitors or if the FOH engineer wants "full control" over the backing tracks. Personally I find this setup an overkill, but that is just personal preference. Some more seasoned engineers prefer this over just a stereo track.

- If you are using the snake instead of DI-boxes (like we did), you need to be extra careful with the levels, as you will be feeding the line level stuff to microphone preamp. Because line level is so much louder than microphone level and if you leave no headroom, you are shooting +12dB levels to the mixer from the get go, that sometimes can't be cured even with a pad if you can't open the aux channels more than 1mm because after that it's too loud. SO LEAVE PLENTY OF HEADROOM. I learned this the hard way. Wasn't cool.

PROS AND CONS:
+ The hardware recorders are usually built like tanks
+ Rack mounted
+ Fast to set up and tear down on stage
- Expensive
- User interface of the thing is usually very unintuitive
- Preparations can be really tedious

CONFIGURATION 4: Justin Bieber & other lip-synchers

Rough estimate: 3000€ and up

Requirements:

- Multitrack system (everything starting from 4 tracks up to 64 tracks)
- Own sound crew that know what they are doing

Preparations:

- Record everything in studio to multitracks, including vocals
- Hire the sound guys and let them do their thing

PROS AND CONS:
+ You don't have to play anymore, just dance and lipsynch and occasionally shout "I love you!"
- You don't need any talent, just looks and money

Any questions or comments?

This took me an age to work out and this thread helped loads so thanks.

I wanted to share my setup so I wrote a post on it here, just incase it helps anyone in the future!

Leave a comment if you have any questions about my setup!

Hey! This thread is awesome!
I just wanted to share a tip on solving the same problem with an app which is available for iOS and Android for free.

Here are the links:
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wildbeep.livebacktrack&hl=en
iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/live-backing-track-multitrack-live-play/id1229052092?ls=1&mt=8

On iOS you can load your tracks using iTunes "File Sharing". It currently supports WAV and OGG.
On Android it also supports Mp3, and you just need to copy your files to your SD card.
The app has built in instructions similar to what was written on the original post (but not so incredibly complete!).