My first paid recording (Civil War Brass Band lololol)

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
So some may remember this thread back in the summer about the gig I got to record the Civil War Brass Band my Dad plays in, the Federal City Brass Band; they do it for fun, but these guys are no group of amateurs, many of them have professional experience playing in military service bands or (in the case of my Dad) being a pro musician most of his adult life. Also, the heads of the band (the band director and his wife) are also the heads of the nonprofit organization the National Association for Civil War Brass Music, and let's just say that they made certain I was compensated accordingly :cool:

So in early July, my Dad and I drove down to the area around UMBC (University of Maryland, Baltimore County, where the director of the band also teaches), but first stopped off to pick up our rental gear, a pair of AKG c414 ULS TLII's (apparently one of the best of the like 6 varieties of c414 that have been made over the years) and a John Hardy 990 2-channel preamp :headbang: However, the gear at UMBC was hardly sub-par either; we recorded in this auditorium:

DSC00623.jpg

And here's the booth:

DSC00633.jpg

Two of the students from the recording program there helped me out; he had access to all the mics from their main studio facilities, and we certainly used 'em :D So all told, there were 15 mics:

-Some pair of Oktava SDC's for an XY pair above the conductor's head (permanently installed)
-Some pair of widely spaced Peluso Omni SDC's at the stage line, and some omni AKG hanging straight down over the conductor's head (for a sort of Decca Tree setup, also permanently installed)
-A blumlein pair of the c414's we rented, behind the conductor (SO glad I used these despite the above 5, they captured so much more of the room sound which was great to have - thanks to Lydon for the suggestion in the other thread! :headbang:)

-This was the idea of one of the resident students: a pair of PZM mics taped to either side of a sheet of plexiglass for the cornet spot mics (worked well at isolating bleed because all the cornets were in a pretty tight semi-circle, with the Eb's on one side and the Bb's on the other). Here's a pic

-Then individual spot mics on all the other sections, here's a pic of that (that's my Dad sitting down playing, and no, his hair was not buzzed super-short :lol: )
From farthest to closest, it was a Shure KSM141 on the altos, a Neumann TLM193 on the tubas, another KSM141 on the baritone, yet another KSM141 on the snare top (notice the rigid fiberglass panel blocking the snare, the band manager, the band director's wife, seriously has a complex about the snare being too loud :lol: ), a D112 on the bass drum (not pictured), and some bizarre expensive ribbon mic on the tenors (the dangling one, believe it or not that's how it's supposed to be, those are elastic straps and function as its shockmount o_O )

Preamps were 7 channels from an Octopre LE running via ADAT into a 002 console, then 6 channels from a True Systems P8 (great preamp, but HOT) running into the first 6 analog in's, and the rented John Hardy preamp running into the other two analog in's.

Phew, I think that covers it! Mixing all those different mics was a challenge, but I had fun with it, and now, after months of sending all the takes to the band director/manager (again, husband/wife), having them listen to them all and decide which to have me splice together, mixing, more mixing, and lots of waiting, it's pretty much finished! So here's an example:

FCBB - Freedom Quickstep.mp3

Any questions, just ask! And one thing to mention; these are all authentic Civil War period-correct instruments, including mouthpieces, so while you will undoubtedly hear some mistakes and intonation issues, it's pretty much expected with that degree of historical accuracy!

EDIT: Also, here's a piece from the recording session on the second day (Sunday), see my reply near the top of pg. 2 for info as well as raw tracks for those who wanna give mixing it a try! :D

That sounds amazing! My I ask how much post processing is on there? I've listened to quite a few orchestra/choir recordings and I never knew each section was mic'd. I thought they just got a couple of room mics and the conductor made sure the "mix" was right :lol:

Thanks dude! And nah, in this case I knew I wanted to have the spot mics because while these guys are good, they're not all perfect enough to have a flawless balance between each other at all times (that's like top-class pro ensemble status), so it was a great help to have the spot mics making up part of the overall sound (so I could pull them down when a part was too loud, though more often it was bringing up other parts that were too soft, cuz there were times an instrument was too loud in the main 7 stereo mics, so even muting its spot mic made no difference).

There was indeed a fair amount of processing on each track, though it was mostly in the form of compression (a 6:1 ratio taking off max ~8 dB on the spot mics, and a 4:1 ratio taking off max ~6 dB on the busses for the Decca, XY, and Blum, respectively), as well as big (like 5-6dB) cuts at 2k on almost every single track, it was ridiculous :lol: (and some other eq'ing, namely other random cuts of problem frequencies here and there, as well as low-passing the crap out of the spot mics to hide the directness of their sound in the interest of blending it in with the overall sound from the main 7).

Thanks for listening guys! :)

Thanks a lot colynomial! ("classical section at Wal-Mart", high praise indeed :lol: ) And of course, I can't forget mentioning that every track was bussed to SiR 1 with the "Concert Hall" impulse (from the Bricasti M7 set :headbang: ) loaded - though I set the "stretch" feature in SiR to 88% to shorten the length of the reverb tail slightly, that's such a useful control to have in a convolution plug)

And Gabriel, thanks man, and it was pretty light compression as you can see, just to transparently get things more even-sounding! (and reduce the amount of automation I had to do on the spot mic tracks, though there was still plenty!)

This sounds phenomenal dude, I've been stoked to hear this for a while actually, just to see how it would turn out. The music isn't my cup of tea, I never really got all this marching band stuff. I used to be in a brass band down here when I was a kid though so we'd be playing a lot of old war marches and stuff like that, so I guess I have a mild appreciation of it.

But yeah, this sounds really gorgeous man, really warm and smooth and open. Mega, mega props.

Sounds great. Quite punchy in fact when the drums are hitting it, which is rare to hear in recordings of this type. Perhaps the inner metalhead trying to shine.

The only advice I could give at all is that perhaps the overall mix needs just a little more air. Just some simple master harmonic exciting or pristine EQ high shelving would do.

I don't think there's anything wrong with compressing material like this heavily. I'm no purist, and the better the end result, well the happier everyone is. You only really appreciate massive dynamic range when you're sitting in the hall itself with the band. Speakers need a bit of slamming.

Ear-gasm dude! I know my boys in the FCBB are well represented in this mix!

Sorry again I couldn't meet up with you when you were down in this area. How's the rest of the disc going? Will it be out for purchase this year?

Very, very fucking GREAT WORK!!! Respect, Marcus :) I also was asked to record a choir & orchestra..but I didn´t had the balls to do it then. Your work inspires me to try it, as well. Good deal with the equipment stuff...damn this idea was pretty good!

First I would say congrats for this!!! Not my cup of tea (I mostly love european classical music:D and I'm not a big fan of brass exept with wagner music) but this sound really natural, organic and clean. Not an easy job imo:lol:

Btw that would be an option for a futur career Markus;)

very very nice Marcus! Do I hear breathing left in? I was also thinking of a bit more excitement perhaps along the lines of Ermins comment as well. I would like to comment more, but I have no bearing on this genre that would be even remotely helpful lol!

Very cool.

Lots of finger clicks from the brass instruments. Tell those guys they need some new pads under their valve buttons! The lead trumpet lines sound very nice and clean. Generally the difficulty with brass is that they are so harsh. They definitely do not sound harsh to me. Good job. The localization of the lead trumpet is fantastic as well. I can see exactly where he is sitting when I close my eyes. With live recordings of ensembles like this, I think that is really important.

Did you spot mic any of the percussion at all?