My first post! Melodic Metalcore (August Burns Red, FTFD, Misery Signals)

mike2205

Aug 24, 2009
Manchester, UK
I've been a member on here a while, slowly learning tips and progressing but never contributed anything of my own. I felt that it was time that I should try and be part of the community and what better way to do it than with what I feel is my best effort yet.

This is the latest song by my band, Empires Fade.

So hello all, please feel free to critisise/ask questions.

Empires Fade - Hope

Mike

It actually sounds really good man, expecially the vocals. The guitars are somewhat honky but I think it works in this mix.

The snare and kick are lost in the mix sometimes though, mostly when the vocals are going.

This sounds really good man.

Here's some advice though:

1 - At times, it feels like there is too much going on in the middle, and sometimes the vocals seem to wide? How much reverb do you have on the vocals? And do you have the reverb panned at all?

2 - Your snare is definitely buried. This genre really calls for a super loud, snappy, cracky snare, IMO. Try some more compression. Or just clip it (GClip)

3 - What is your mastering chain looking like? If you have any reverb on the master, take it off. The mix sounds a little muddy and unclear overall, and that will definitely help things. (Taking off any mastering reverb.)

4 - Bring the vocals up 1 dB.

Hope this helps!

back up the mastering, and am i the only one hearing some clipping/distorting?
also the base is quite mashinegunnish, dont you have other samples?

agreed that theres a lot happening in the middle. definately need to bring the kick out more

Cheers for the feedback guys. Will have some time tomorrow to revisit this mix, will post up a new version asap.

I agree with the snare and kick getting lost, and that I need to backup on the master. Got myself into a bad habit of eq'ing after limiting which, is boosting the level and causing the clipping.