My first true attempt at recording/mixing/mastering metal @ home

ugly_guitar_guy

New Metal Member
Feb 10, 2011
Hey guys,

So I'm a newb to posting on this forum but have been lurking for a while. My band has been working on a home-recorded EP for a few months now, and while I've only ever used my home "studio" (term used very loosely) for demos, it's been quite a learning experience to try to make something that doesn't sound like it has a blanket over the speakers.

This is my first attempt at just that, and I wanted to share for some feedback.

A little back-story first, the amps are Mesa Mark V and Marshall DSL900 recorded direct in using a goofy method, the bass is Ampeg SVX, and the drums are Slate, but played by a REAL drummer. I used Cubase 5 and a Roland Octa-capture for all inputs.

Enjoy!

http://soundcloud.com/hollowshell/hopeless-return

Dude, this is your first time? Really digging it. As an amateur myself I can't really recommend anything, but honestly, even if I was a pro, I can't think of what could be improved.

Awesome, thanks guys. This was a frustrating process to learn quite a bit over the last 6 or so months about how to mix and master to my ears, but I think I'm getting the hang of it!

The snare is the drummers choice. I personally prefer a more "Lamb of God" pingy kind-of snare, but it's a blend of a few different snares that he digs, so it works.

I used the MaxxBass plug on the master to give it some oomph, and on a spectrum it matched pretty well to modern metal like Machine Head/Testament/Megadeth. Anything more feels like it gets too muddy to my ears, especially on a car stereo.

Any other thought, critiques, suggestions are welcome! :headbang:

Sounds full and tight... really linking.
Cool song by the way...

the only thing i can say is that the drumscould be a little louder... but just a little

Sounds full and tight... really linking.
Cool song by the way...

the only thing i can say is that the drumscould be a little louder... but just a little

Honestly, I hid them a little bit under the guitars to keep them from sounding like sampled drums at the front of the mix. Everything was played by our real drummer via Roland TD-12 kit, but samples are samples and you get what you get. I actually can't say enough great things about what the guys at Slate are doing for drum replacement!

metalmonster34 said:
really dig the vox. what mic you used?

Surprisingly, a self capacitor-modded MXL990 with a low layer of SM-57 in parts. I used Ozone 4 on the master bus for some added body.

The vox have been my most apprehensive part, so I'm really glad to hear that so many people dig it!