My Heart Will Go On Cover

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
Apparently the band has recorded this before but this new version is streets ahead of that no doubt. It could however, been an epic fail of proportions never ever seen or heard of on youtube, but by the Gods of metallic cheese, it actually totally rules! I don't know who this Finnish outfit are but this cover is nailed tremendously and triumphantly! Battledragon - you guys need an album!!! I think even Celine would probably like this.

I'm not sure there's a more obvious name for a power metal band than "Battle Dragon." Also that is a seemingly very random choice of song to cover.

Really? Thunder Dragon wouldn't be more obvious? This isn't even a particularly creative cover, which is a shame. If they'd put their own twist on it, it may have been more fun.

Also I can see Sonata Arctica covering this in a serious manner.

Really? Thunder Dragon wouldn't be more obvious? This isn't even a particularly creative cover, which is a shame. If they'd put their own twist on it, it may have been more fun.

Hruh? Reworking a soft rock ballad to use speed metal riffage and double bass is not putting their own twist on it? :)

There's also a metal version (done by Andy Rehfeldt) featuring the original vocals:

And the same version with death metal vocals:

They basically took the exact song and powermetaled it note for note. No, I don't think that's incredibly original. This, on the other hand, fundamentally changes a song into something with a different personality.

They basically took the exact song and powermetaled it note for note. No, I don't think that's incredibly original. This, on the other hand, fundamentally changes a song into something with a different personality.

Heh... I've either never heard or don't recall the Adele song, so I'll take your word for it! As someone who is intrigued by metal covers of pop songs though, I like what Battle Dragon did with the Celine Dion song. They increased the tempo a little bit, changed some arrangements to better suit their instrumentation, and largely redid the middle part of the song. This, to me, is more or less the way to do a metal cover of a pop song. If the artist doing the cover fundamentally changes the song, then what's the point of doing a cover at all... why not just write an original song? Not that I'm saying Leo Moracchioli is doing anything wrong obviously... I simply enjoyed Battle Dragon's take.

When people say they've never heard the most popular song currently in circulation, I sometimes wonder how it's even possible. It is literally EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME. I always feel like this is the "cool" or "metal" response. Maybe you actually haven't paid attention to it, but listening to the cover should spark "oh right that." in your mind unless you're a reclusive shut in who only has friends who're the trvest of the kvlt.

When people say they've never heard the most popular song currently in circulation, I sometimes wonder how it's even possible. It is literally EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME. I always feel like this is the "cool" or "metal" response. Maybe you actually haven't paid attention to it, but listening to the cover should spark "oh right that." in your mind unless you're a reclusive shut in who only has friends who're the trvest of the kvlt.
I don't have cable. I don't listen to the radio. I work from home. I am effectively divorced from popular culture's reality, and I quite like it that way.

I've never heard "Hello," and I don't feel much impulse to change that. Which isn't to say I have something against Adele or her work (by all accounts she's super talented and a quite nice person), but it doesn't have much allure for me.

My situation is probably similar to Mardoch's. Years ago, I likely would have known the biggest pop songs of the day. There's probably a couple decades worth of radio hits that I know pretty well. But these days, even if something is being played everywhere, all the time... where exactly are those places? Certainly not in my house, car, or work spaces. I also don't listen to radio and don't have cable. I also don't go to malls, movie theaters, and some other types of places nearly as much as I used to (online shopping, streaming, etc, has replaced some of that). Other places I still go, like supermarkets or Wal-Mart or something, don't have in-store background music playing. I don't have a huge number of friends who I hang out with super-frequently, but even when I do, a fair number are into metal, and a good percentage of the rest are into some other weird stuff (like the soundtracks to obscure anime, for example) as opposed to the latest pop hits.

So I can't definitively say that I've never heard the Adele song. It's possible I heard it here or there in passing at some point. I've heard a few other pop songs in passing over the last few years, so it's not like I NEVER come across ANY pop songs EVER. But I can definitely say that I have no recollection of this song, and listening to the cover version didn't spark any. Like Mardoch, I don't have anything against Adele. Actually, I know almost nothing about her. I don't think I've heard any of her previous material either. But while I have nothing against her, I don't feel any particular desire to seek out and listen to her music either.

Last edited: