My Killing Ground review

N

Nige T

So after playing the album for a couple weeks here is a track by track account what I think.
1. Intro/Killing Ground.
A typical Saxon album title track. A medievil introduction, much like Crusader prelude, leading into a monster of a track. Killing Ground has a huge chuging riff and just has Saxon stamped all over it. This will obviously open the shows on the tour and will do the job brilliantly. The song isn't striaght forward metal all the way through though as it breaks down into a Nibbs Carter bass solo 2/3 of the way through. This adds another dimension to the track and it soon picks up again to rip your face off, top stuff!
2. Court of the Crimson King.
Saxon do Prog Rock! But they do it very well. This is Saxon taking a bit of a gamble and pulling it off superbly. The track contains some of the best vocal works I've heard from Biff and reminds me of Frozen Rainbow/Judgement Day/Refugee. A real touch of class from the boys.
3. Coming Home.
A great Saxon Rocker. Similar to R n' R Gypsy etc. A very immeadiate number that just gets better and better with each play. A possible future live favourite.
4. 'Till hell freezes Over.
A good staright forward track with a big sing along chorus.
5. Dragons Lair.
You've probably heard it already but, A brilliant Metal track. Fast and catchy with some great guitar work. Reminds me of a very good Ynwgie Malmsteen type track.
6. You don't know what you've got.
Another dig at GO/SD? A very groovey number which rumbles along at medium pace.
7. Deeds of Glory & 8. Running for the Border.
At the moment I find these the albums week points. Just average Saxon tracks. Saying that though average Saxon tracks are a whole lot better than most bands best tracks!
9. Shadows on the Wall.
This is now one of my favourite Saxon Tracks. The track seams to be based on the Bombing of Hiroshima and starts and finishes with the haunting sounds of children playing. The track goes from a very mellow gentle start before bursting into the heaviest Saxon have sounded with effects changing Biffs vocals. This then drops back into the mellow start and carrys on changing from heavy to mellow throughout the number. A real classic that stands along side Broken Heroes.
10. Rock is our Life.
It certainly is! Another anthemic Saxon track to round off the album in style. Another big sing along that could work well live.

All in all I'd give the album 4/5 and say it is a damn good one. The total heavyness of Metalhead has been left behind and the band have made an album similar in style to Forever Free and Dogs of War.

Cheers for the review nige sounds like a really great album from saxon hopefully getting it this saturday cant wait to hear it ian

You might have problems getting it on Saturday as its not out till Monday!
It is a top album though and you will enjoy it.

Yesterday i downloaded Killing ground, coming hime, shadows on the wall, deeds of glory and rock is our life, Killing ground just goes on and on in my head, Shadows is a fantastic song and the three other songs are great saxon rockers. I jus`t can`t wait to get the album.

I am trying to work but "the canons are roaring to the left and the right" or something like that.

Now Biff if you read this, I haven`t seen you in Finland latley, so a show in Helsinki, pleeeeease!

...Oh, if 'Deeds of glory' is one of the week points I really can't wait for the album. I just downloaded it and it's one hell of a track IMO. But then again, that's a matter of taste I guess...

Anybody know if the limited edition will be available only in the UK?

Great review! I can't wait for the cd to be released here in the USA...

I hope the band decides to tour the USA (the midwest...Milwaukee or Chicago) next spring:)

DEFEND THE FAITH

I'm dyin! I orderd from CDNow.com and am awaiting the release on the 25th I think. I could listen to Dragon's Lair a hundred times and never get bored. Ya know, wakeup, Cigarette, coffee song, just to get going? Then, the drive to work. Unleash the Beast as well as MetalHead etc. have gotten me through some long commutes and days on the job! Biff! Get to the U.S.! Swing by Herndon Virginia and I'll buy the beer!