My Latest Purchases Thread Mk. III

Arckanum - Kostogher Org
Sad Legend - S/T Org
Unholy - The Second Ring of Power Org
Dark Tribe - Geboren an den Ufern des Wahnsinns
Thergothon - Fhatagn-nagh Yog-Sothoth (Eibon)
Void of Silence - Criteria ov 666

The Bigs 2 X-360

Replacements of albums I've had a hankering for that I can no longer locate in my mess of CDs:
Exhumed - Slaughtercult
Lost Soul - Scream of the Mourning Star

Just for fun:
Skinless - Foreshadowing Our Demise picture vinyl

annnd a Six Feet Under - Maximum Violence shirt, because I enjoy the album and it's a size small.

New cell phone too.

CARRION WRAITH - Carrion Wraith
CONJURATOR - Erosplattered
GROMM - Sacrilegium
GROMM - Pilgrimage Amidst the Catacombs of Negativism
KARNA - Diabolic
KARSTEN HAMRE - Broken Whispers
KARSTEN HAMRE & VLAD JECAN - Enter Inside
NAZXUL - Totem
WINGS OF WAR/BELETH - The Flames of Evil

First thing! I almost went with a Rega Apollo myself, but this was significantly cheaper and he included some other tubes along with the stock ones for me to tinker with. Nothing expensive, but extra shit is extra shit, so good stuff.

Been really difficult to decide what Speakers I want. I'm likely going to go with with some Sound Dynamics 300ti Speakers for now. Though relatively old, everything I've read about these speakers has been incredibly positive (overachievers) and at an asking price is $300, can't really go wrong. Can likely get them for $250.

If I don't like them, my next choice is the Totem Rainmakers. Either will likely benefit from a neutral to slightly bright amp, so we'll take it from there!

First thing you got was a CD player. :lol:

Honestly, I would go bigger with the speakers. Your cd player alone is going to be more than your speakers! :loco:

Also, you're going backwards! The CD player should be the last thing you got. ;)

Buuuut...FUCK YEAH! :kickass:

I'm building from scratch, so it's not like I'd have something worthwhile to plug my speakers into regardless (other than my computer, but fuck that).

I won't spend $1500 on speakers just to say I spent more than on the CD Player though! If the Sound Dynamics (or the Totems) perform as expected there's no need (As you can see, I'm still firmly grounded in reality and not up in the Audiophile clouds... yet :lol:).

I'm still not 100% on them though. I may still end up with floorstanders... Still looking around at the moment.

I'm building from scratch, so it's not like I'd have something worthwhile to plug my speakers into regardless (other than my computer, but fuck that).

I won't spend $1500 on speakers just to say I spent more than on the CD Player though! If the Sound Dynamics (or the Totems) perform as expected there's no need (As you can see, I'm still firmly grounded in reality and not up in the Audiophile clouds... yet :lol:).

I'm still not 100% on them though. I may still end up with floorstanders... Still looking around at the moment.

A great speaker will always be a great speaker.

It just doesn't make much sense to buy a cd player of that level, where the noticeable sound difference is the least affected, and not do the same for the amp/preamp and, definitely, speakers. It seems backwards, that's all.

Oh, I know what you mean. I'm not looking to go cheap on the speakers by any means, the Sound Dynamics are just something that caught my attention. From what I can tell, speakers really don't retain their value over the years, regardless of how good they are... but as you said, a good speaker is a good speaker, so that's something i'm keeping in mind.

I really just haven't found anything in the $1000-1500 range that interests me AND justifies it's price compared to things $800-1000 (such as the Totem Rainmakers). It seems the next "step up" so to speak, is at the $2000+ range.

Ideally if I could find some Paradigm Studio 40 v3's.. I'd jump on them.

Clutch - Strange Cousins From the West (weirdest packaging ever)
Iced Earth - Days of Purgatory (2CD)

found both at Best Buy. I had a $5 reward zone coupon

eh speakers might not retain their monetary value over the years but they will last a hell of a lot longer than your cd player or any other electronic component

personally i see the cd player as the least critical component of any hi-fi system and i would only buy an expensive one if i KNEW for a FACT i could tell a SIGNIFICANT difference in a blind a/b test

I couldnt stand the Paradigms that I heard.

Also, a cd player is probably the only thing that you DON'T want to buy used since it most definitely has a finite life of about 5-7 years depending on use...most of the time.