My letter is in Kerrang! re: the Stock

DENIM AND LEATHER

I’ve now just about recovered from attending the third annual Gumbyfest in Derby and I haven’t stopped smiling yet. The event was Bloodstock 2003 and it just gets better and better. Yeah there were some terrible Europe-on-speed cheese metal bands, but there were some quality heavy metal bands and some brilliant up-and-coming UK bands who need and deserve a lot more backing.

The whole event is totally unfashionable, I saw at least a dozen mullets, but no one gives a fuck and that is what makes it great. So with metal making a comeback, how about giving some coverage to the likes of Saxon, Blaze, Masterplan, Bates Motel and Fourwaykill.

Nige (Black Lagoon) Taylor

There was a few bits actually taken out from what I wrote, but not a lot.

Black Lagoon said:
DENIM AND LEATHER

I’ve now just about recovered from attending the third annual Gumbyfest in Derby and I haven’t stopped smiling yet. The event was Bloodstock 2003 and it just gets better and better. Yeah there were some terrible Europe-on-speed cheese metal bands, but there were some quality heavy metal bands and some brilliant up-and-coming UK bands who need and deserve a lot more backing.

The whole event is totally unfashionable, I saw at least a dozen mullets, but no one gives a fuck and that is what makes it great. So with metal making a comeback, how about giving some coverage to the likes of Saxon, Blaze, Masterplan, Bates Motel and Fourwaykill.

Nige (Black Lagoon) Taylor

There was a few bits actually taken out from what I wrote, but not a lot.

One question. Why would you write a letter to the bag of w*** that is kerrang in the first place :confused:

Are you lot really that narrow-minded?

I still buy Kerrang! every week and have done since issue 2! I still find they feature loads of good bands in there that deserve the chance to be heard. All these categories nu, power etc etc are shite, to me there are two types of music, good and bad. Just check out the Probolt track on the CD with the new issue. Dave Grohl and Cronos, what more could you want. Also a 3 page Arch Enemy feature is in there.

Yeah Kerrang! isn't the shine to metal it once was, but to me, it still is a reasonably good read despite the fact that it is so fashion led. Without Kerrang over the last 5 years, I would have missed out on Orange Goblin, Opeth, Monster Magnet, Backyard Babies, and a good few other bands I really like.

Lagoon, you're the man. Probolt is utterly awesome, Kerrang! will nevery learn if they aren't told - for which further kudos - and getting K! coverage is still a sine qua non for any up-and-coming band.

I'm old enough to remember when Kerrang! really *was* underground, full of Maiden, Bolt Thrower and loads of Warhammer stuff - eek! In my opinion, it's much improved since those days.

crikey, I stopped getting Kerrap!! years ago. It got to the point where my metal hateing sister liked more of the cheesey band's featured in there such as Sum 41 and wheatus etc.

mawk said:
I'm old enough to remember when Kerrang! really *was* underground, full of Maiden, Bolt Thrower and loads of Warhammer stuff - eek! In my opinion, it's much improved since those days.

yeah kerrang USED to be the best metal mag & Raw was a close second ... what ever happened to Raw & it's tv show RAW POWER?

Cruel Humanity said:
yeah kerrang USED to be the best metal mag & Raw was a close second ... what ever happened to Raw & it's tv show RAW POWER?

RAW was like 'Smash Hits' for (Hair) metallers. Always full of Guns 'n' Roses and Bon Jovi... I never bought a copy, just read it in Whsmiths.

Metal Hammer was good back then too...

RAW power became 'Noisy Mothers' for a while, then disappeared. They seemed to play the same vids every week, very little change unfortunately. Let down by a tiny budget and not very good presenting. Krusher and the dog were good Tho'.

What was the dog's name ?

Hey Black Lagoon I've bought every issue fron No.1! But it was the reissue. I've been pretty sick of it lately but it still offers every week crack, you just have to wade through the shite.
Metal Forces was pretty good in those thrash days.

Symphony said:
Anyone remember Metal Forces? Now there was a metal mag. Kerrang is a comic in comparison!

Hell I remember Metal Forces.... I was talking about it the other day in the pub!! Used to love that mag!! Was soooo pissed off when they stopped publishing it.... but they never announced that the last issue was imminent, they just started to take 2 months to release an issue, then 3 months, then blam.... gone!!! At least my newsagnt got a bit of peace in the end!!!! Probably got fed up of me asking was it in!!

Yeah you used to get some great posters in MF too!! I remember my sepultura one quite well!! :worship:

just got a text from our rhythm guitarist to check out the K! Letters page, as I'd only flicked through when I bought it.

Cheers for the name check Sir! And I really appreciated the humlour throughout the letter.