My Macbook Pro has bitten the dust :(

Vicioushead

Jan 29, 2012
Ireland
Right in the middle of a project :cry:

Shut it down this evening after recording and when I booted it up later the screen will not come on.

:(

I had a laptop that got stolen :/ had projects on it and everything ...its always a bad feeling..

What year is it from? I had an early 2008 4,1 macbook pro, from just before they redesigned it to the newer design, and the same thing happened. Turned my computer on and there was sound but no video. It's a known defect. Apple replaced my entire logic board for free. You might be in the same boat.

It's from around that time and has the infamous Nvidia 8600GT GPU that has a manufacturing fault. Sadly, I bought it second hand so I might be out of luck if they want proof of purchase.

There's sound, I can hear music and system sounds etc but the the screen remains black :(

Didn't you do a copy via TimeMachin ? Or even better (in your case) via Carbon Copy Cloner ?

With TimeMachine you can get your files back on another system. With CCC you can actually immediately boot on your clone harddrive by simply pluggin it on another mac.

EDIT: plug an external screen ? or buy a cheap one.

had the exact same problem with a 2008 macbook pro. guarantee? nope .....even though its a known issue ( germany....). My brother had nearly the same problem with his macbook pro, but it was his graphic chip (8600 gt) ....so he kinda repaired it himself by putting it into the oven (no joke...). My firmware chip somehow died..for whatever reasons. Shut down...tried to boot: NOPE. Broken firmwarechip, repairing would have cost too much. Never gonna buy apple stuff again.

Contact apple, it's a known issue, if you're sure it have the nvidia 8600gt that is...

They should resolve it straight away.... If tier 1 tech don't resolve it, speak to tier 2...

I also just had a problem in which my MBP wouldn't boot, but got stuck to the gray Apple logo. HDD seems to be dying; after I booted with the command line visible, I saw it get stuck at a disk0s2: I/O error. Booting with cmd + R held down got me to the OSX Recovery though (I've got Lion installed) and after I reinstalled Lion, everything came back totally fine. It doesn't actually completely reinstall it, but just writes over it and thus repairs the previous install, and my issues were probably caused by corrupted Snow Leopard era kext's that got fixed. I only had to run software update to get e.g. iTunes back to 11, since the reinstall rolled them back.

Oh well, I need to upgrade to an SSD anyway, at least I have one less reason to procrastinate on it now.

Seems it's with the GPU though with yours. I had an early 2008 MBP before this one which also had the 8600GT, and it was indeed under extended warranty because the chip had a known issue. Sold it after 3 years of use though, never any issues except the lens in the superdrive getting dusty from never being used.

Contact apple, it's a known issue, if you're sure it have the nvidia 8600gt that is...

They should resolve it straight away.... If tier 1 tech don't resolve it, speak to tier 2...

The repair is not covered after 4 years from the date of purchase.

If you've got an external display, see if that works when you turn the computer on. If you have video, you can keep working, only your display is bad...but if you have no video you have bigger problems.

A few months ago my 2007 mbp came up with a failed diagnosis and the fan was going really loud. Even though it was WAY out of warrenty I opened a support ticket, no more than a week later I had my mbp back with a brand new video card. No charge. I would definitely call support if I were you.

I had the same thing happen. After I did some research and people had similar problems, I took it to the apple store. The techs knew about this problem and hooked it up to a device to test the problem. If it is the gpu failure I'm thinking it is, they will replace your logic board on nvidia! Took only a few days. Good luck!

I fixed my totally dead 2007 MBP with the 'reflow' (oven) treatment.
But my problem wasn't as described here, though I also have been through this screen related one and luckily Apple fixed it for me.