My Metal/Hardcore band i recorded (Into Depths)

Jon Ossim

New Metal Member
Feb 27, 2009
Hey

I recently finished recording songs off my band Into Depths ep and I really could use some constructive criticism on it!
I recorded guitars and bass through a line 6 ux2, drums are superior 2.0, vocals were done with a shure sm7b and I use presonus studio one as my daw!
My bands fb page is http://www.facebook.com/intodepths
And here are some of the songs!

Tell me what you think about the production and maybe about the music in general!

Greetings from germany!

Last edited by a moderator:
Vocals are good, reminds me a lot of Winston McCall. But other then that, everything is pretty much scooped and not punchy. Too much low-end/sub frequencies and guitars are harshly edited. Snare gets buried and is pretty thin. I think you went too hard on the master comp.

the mix here isn't great but I must admit to enjoying the songs themselves. the guitar hooks are sick :)

thanks for the reply!
Should I go back with the comp on the low frequencies and add more highs?
And how can I give the snare more room and make it sound bigger? :/

And thanks for liking the music!

Your limiter is what mainly kills the snare. Try Gclip on your master bus. Also is it only SD2.0's snare or a sample? Try a transparent multiband comp to clean the low-end area.

Mmm, try blending 2 or 3 samples for the top and bottom snare and did you clip only the snare before the mastering?

There's way too much going on to start. I thought that i had somekind of lopass/hipass setup on.
Sounds kinda like im listening this through my cellphone. :D That's so shame because the songs sound really good. :)

What kind of lo/hipass settings do you have on on gtrs and bass?