My night at the Hideout.

chupe666

You may enter up to 25 ch
Apr 11, 2002
Where you live
www.chupetunes.com
OK, so last night I was going to see this girl Nora O'Connor (who sings for Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire & did some stuff on our new record- plug!) and her side project thing with Matt Weber called Cantina. They play at the Hideout, a local acoustic club, every Monday night for free & do covers of Neil Young, Tom Waits, some originals, etc.

So I got to the door and they said $5.
I was all 'WAHTEAKNGIREWANTKSFAWF !!!'
And they said $5.
So I was a sucka and paid and went in.
I got my $2 PBR in a can and sat down.
Tons of people started coming in over the next 30 minutes and I was all 'WAHTASHFIAJEFKSDJ AW!!!' cuz it's usually empty Mondays. Again, I shrugged it off.

So Cantina played, and then Danny Black (of The Blacks- Bloodshot Records anyone?) came up and did some old Blacks tunes with Nora (from when she used to be in the band) and I was all 'Okthismakessense' and was satiated.

Then there was a break- but people kept coming in.
They started doing an open mic thing, and more people started coming in. There was a 'guest' MC for the night they introduced as some guy's brother, but there were so many people in front of me by now I couldn't see- except for seeing that the guy was Billy Corgan.
Now I was suspicious.

So I stayed.
Eventually, a guy from Sonia Dada played some acoustic shit with a harmonica player who rocked (that guy from Blues Traveler sucks ass) and did 'Wade in the Water', a Macy Gray impression that was dead nuts, and a mix of Prince's Kiss and other shit.

Then, since they played in Chicago the night before and were off Monday, Jason (i think) from ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead came in, said he was high on ecstasy, & did some solo piano covers including Elton John's 'Your Song'. I swore I saw Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age poke his head in too- I was gonna bum rush him and yell 'BUCK BUCK', but he was too quick.

And later, Billy Corgan did 2 new songs by himself on a Guild 12-string, wearing an Astros jersey. I think one was called 'Desire' or something, but he didn't say much except that the last song was special because it was the 500th depressing song he had written. The first was the 499th. Good stuff- very much what you'd expect- lush chords, good melodies, very good stuff.
billyblue.jpg

And then I went home and had some cold pasta.
So that was my Monday. What'd y'all do?

http://www.hideoutchicago.com/

BWAHAHA that rules.

I worked late, went to get coffee, and at the coffee-place, talked to a few kids I bumped into about how there were like 8 fights this weekend between punk/scenesters and jocks and FSU, and about how there were hordes of the fuckers running through Mission Hill with Madballs.

Let me remind you all to check out my first haiku in the haiku thread.

My monday consisited of spinach pies and a hike to the scitaute resvoir to drink some 40's with a good friend of mine... then i find out my "online buddy"(how weird to say) from north carolina will be in boston this week, just as my car dies!!!!!

hmm.. i don't know those kids. but i thought there were a lot of people up here that dislike the guy?

Josh: Madball - pool ball in a sock that you use to hit kids that are in other crews.