My Not-So-Humble review of the Mayhem Festival

Bryan316

METAL... nuff said!
FUCK OZZFEST IN ITS DIRTY CORNHOLE WITH A RUSTY CHAINSAW!

UNLUBRICATED!

DTE Energy Music Theater, also know as PINE KNOB YOU ASSHATS!!! Screw DTE. It's Pine Knob whether you like it or not. No amount of money or advertising will EVER change the Knob's name.

The show?

Excellent. Perfect. Stupendous and sheeeit.

Just enough commercialization to get all their sponsors happy, without getting down-your-throat annoying and aggravating like Ozzfest's bullshit got at the end. GREAT logistics and setup with the two stages widely separated yet parallel to each other. If you stood far back enough up the parking lot, you could see and hear both stages without having to move at all. The sound quality was definitely very directional though as you moved in front of the speaker colums. The rain beat the CRAP out of everybody! Freezing for an August afternoon! Dropped down to 60 and got downright chilly when everyone's sopping wet and no sun shining down. But that crowd was seemingly fed by the defiance of saying FUCK YOU, STORM!!! WE'RE TOO METAL FOR YOUR MEASLEY RAIN!!!

Had a scaled down condensed version of the Carnival of Chaos layout for merch stuff, all accessible. Again, not choking you senseless with propaganda and lame merch.

Timing of the bands was interesting. They bounced from one stage to the other immediately after each other. Very quick, definitely efficient. But Machine Head's setlist crossed over Dragonforce's setlist on the main stage.

Suicide Silence. They know how to be absolutely brutal on stage.

Five Finger Death Punch. Singer wasn't too bad for the nucore growling, and the band was tight.

Black Tide. DISAPPOINTING. First of all, I don't wanna hear no fuckin bass players complaining on the mic that they haven't got laid in a week and want the fans to bring their girlfriends to their signing booth after the show. THIS IS DETROIT. EARN YOUR PUSSY, DOUCHE-FAG!!! The singer's voice has passed through puberty. He can NOT sing the way he did on the album. Not even close. He couldn't even sing the stuff an octave lower, he sounded worse than a drunk James Hetfield, barely intelligible. Horrible. And to think, that was the band I wanted to see the most...

Airbourne. PERFECT ENTERTAINMENT. Those guys are the physical embodiment of "Out of control". They were ridiculously entertaining! Gonzo! Double-LIVE Gonzo! Their singer CAN sing the way the album was recorded. Thoroughly revived my faith in awesome, bombastic vocalists. Though he had problems with his guitar due to the rain, he had to swap a few times. And at the end of the set, they're doing their huge wall of noise finale like all bands do, they're about to do their last big bump, and his guitar dies again! So, being the arrogant cocky over-the-top rock star he is, he swaps guitars, plugs back in, and finishes that last big bump! AWESOME! We were laughing our asses off at just how \m/ \m/ that was to pull that off! That takes balls, man. I applaud Airbourne for being unstoppable.

Walls of Jericho. Ehh. Walked away. Yeah they're a Detroit band, ehh. Seen better versions of what they do.

Machine Head. The most brutal band of the day. Only Suicide Silence can come close that whole day. Just too god damned heavy. I think they broke the parking lot pavement as the stage sunk into the asphalt from their heaviness!

Dragonforce. ZP's voice was spot on, Dave's kicks were on time and no tempo problems. Guitars and keys kept wavering during their solos cuz the sound guy just couldn't keep track of who was playing when. But they were solid and SOBER. Of course, Sam was berating the crowd trying to get them riled up and raging at him, like always. Good performance.

Disturbed. I can find no flaw in their performance. Spot on. TIGHT. That was a perfectly tight performance. They lock together on stage like Legos and you couldn't make them skip a beat. David's voice was flawless. Not one bad note. He really is the consumate frontman. Their sound was actually quite good for being an open air venue! I thoroughly enjoyed them, but I left wishing they had a full 1-1/2 hour setlist. I definitely need to see them on a headlining tour.

Slipknot. They played shit I've NEVER heard them play live! They brought PAIN, man. Vicious. Borderline dangerous. Totally awesome. I didn't expect them to top their show at Cobo Arena since it wasn't really "their" tour, but they did bring a ballistic stage setup with their lights and fireballs and obviously super-polished stage antics. Fuckin awesome. And I cannot believe what a chokehold they had on the crowd! They were eating from the palm of Corey's hand, man. \m/ \m/

Death to Ozzfest. Long live Mayhem! HAIL TO THE KING, BABY!

Underoath had a complete spaz for a keyboardist/sampler/DJ/extra guy on stage to go apeshit. Songs were very bizarre, very hard to listen to. Weird guitar tone from their Orange amps.

I already hate the Red Chord and refused to watch them. I went and shat all over a picture of Sharon Osbourne and then mailed it to her during their set.

Okay maybe I didn't mail it...

I'll be seeing this tomorrow. Did you happen to catch The Red Chord or Underoath?

This is when I hit the Bar before the Main stage took off Only saw a small bit of Underoath...:lol:
My favorites were Suicide Silence!, 5 Finger Death Punch, Airbourne ROCKED!!,
Dragonforce, Disturbed and Slipknot who slayed.. PSYCHOSOCIAL!!