Have you ever mis-identified the band you were seeing at a show?

TychoCelchu

Sep 28, 2004
Boston MA
I've done it a few times.

Once was the first/only time I saw Halford and they had Primal Fear opening. When Primal Fear got on stage I was really confused because they looked like what I was expecting Halford's band to look like, and they sounded like it too. It wasn't until close to the end of their set that I finally figured out they weren't Halford. When Rob actually DID go on, of course, it was UNMISTAKABLE, but I had not seen either band previously. ....OOPS :(

When I saw Children of Bodom with Hypocrisy, my friend thought Hypocrisy were COB.

Yes.

But its rather quite embarassing. As a newbie at ProgPower, I thought that Therion was headlining, not Stratovarius, so when Therion came on, I thought it was Stratovarius, and thought 'wow they sound a lot like Therion.' I was only loosely familiar with Therion at that point, I didn't own any of their CDs. Therion is now one of my favorites and I'd never make such a mistake again :)

I was flying back from Lubbock once, and I saw Jesus on the plane. Turns out it was just Elvis. Ya know, they kinda look the same...

It happens to me when I haven't heard of the opening band and the flyer doesn't mention that local bands will open.

When I saw Children of Bodom with Hypocrisy, my friend thought Hypocrisy were COB.

DUDE this exact same thing happened. I'm assuming this was in 2003 with Dimmu Borgir and Nevermore as well correct? My friend thought Hypocrisy was Bodom and Bodom was Hypocrisy so he ducked out during Bodom and came back during Nevermore. At the time, CoB was un-fuck-withable and one of the most promising new bands to come onto the metal scene. I gave it to my bud good for actually missing them afterwords haha! I think it was their first show in New York ever too. They brought it hard.

Yes, exactly! And I share your perception of how COB was live during that time period too. I wanted to see them live, but even then I had been losing enthusiasm for their recorded albums. They slayed so hard during that furious 30 minute set that I couldn't help but come roaring back as a fan. (It wasn't long lived)

Red Circuit for Labyrinth. Times were close and I didn't recognize them until Homeland (like the latter half of set iirc) which is lame cause I've known them since trance state...I just don't pay attention to band members

LONG time ago thought Tankard was coming to 9:30 Club. Me and friend arrived, looked at crowd, thought the crowd was not the normal Tankard fanbase, watched at the band, listened to some non-thrash music, looked around the club, and realized it was TACK HEAD.

But it ended up being a pretty good band.