My Original Music....

hagenmusic

Dec 22, 2010
Ionia Mi.
Hey guys..

Just wanted to share with you some of the stuff i've been writing and working on the last few months.

Not sure if this music will be part of a band that i may one day put together or if it will be a solo album type thing..

Anyways, here is an insturmental mix of one of my songs. This one is the most mellow and ambient of the stuff i typically write.. The others are a lot more METAL!

I think i may have someone to write lyrics and help out a bit with melody but that is also still up in the air.

These are mainly just demo's as I would like record the guitars with real amp.. Only used amp sims to start to save time.

Would love to hear your thoughts and feedback.. I have 7 more songs that are close to being ready as well. Those also just need words..

Ok enough rambling... here it is..

Last edited by a moderator:
My only advice is that you should really keep working on this stuff until it's finished and then release and promote it, because it's awesome.

Out of curiosity, what kind of vocals do you envision? I could hear anything from Katatonia, to Porcupine Tree, to something more doomy, to something more soaring. All of which could work fantastically.

Thanks for the kind words scott! Yeah I get overly excited about stuff and just want to know what people think.

For heavy chorus i do picture something a bit more aggressive.. But not to the point of cookie monster vocals..

For the regular mellow parts I was thinking Opeth's Damnation or pretty much anything porcupine tree too...

The piano riff came from being inspired by the song "how is your life today" by porcupine tree.

Oh, it's also missing a "gilmor esque" guitar solo at the end too.. Which i'll probably lay down in a few days. Yeah i really should wait till things are complete! haha

Ok here is one more rough instrumental track, then i will follow scott's advice and keep all this to myself until it's time to put some "self promotion" behind it..

This one shows a bit more of the metal side of my writing.. Also if you happen to wonder why i always put weird ambient noise in the beginning of the songs, it's because they will all be connected somehow.. Trying to do the whole concept album thing..

Again would love to hear your opinions..

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds great Nick!

I really like the guitar solo at the end. I think you probably are a better guitarist than me from hearing this, so I will take this opportunity to say "good job, my man!" :) Also, a concept album is always the way to go. I think we're going to try interconnecting the stuff on our next album a little more as well.

I'm excited to hear more!

Thanks man! Although i wouldn't go that far as to say i'm a better guitarist.. I just pick really fast and hope it doesn't sound terrible.. ha.

I've been really inspired lately to get all these songs complete so hopefully it won't be too long and i'll have something to unleash.

Can't wait to hear more of your guy's new stuff, all the snippets i've heard, and from the songs i've heard live i can't wait for it.

My advice wasn't keep it to yourself by any means. Sharing almost always results in motivation, either by learning and hearing what could be improved, or by validating that the ideas are indeed good. Mitchell relies on our feedback a lot. Rather, I'm just saying to see it through to completion.

Yeah music is awesome..

I'm retarted... o_O I gotcha now Scott. duy.

I think we all have pretty similar tastes in music and what is good and what isn't good.. So if you guys don't mind i'm gonna keep throwing up some demos to get your feedback.. Anything from arrangements, to tone, to mixing.. All of that stuff i would love feed back on.. I work on stuff so much on my own that i almost get numb to it and can't tell if it's good or not by the end of it.

Here's another one.. A little more straight ahead.. This one has a pretty cool vocal hook which makes the song 10 times better. Think alice in chains meets Helmet.

whoops forgot the link, see below!