My Protools DT Supercrush Attempt! (Ambient Mix w/ vox)

*KeepControl*

Aug 26, 2009
Hey Hey Hey,

I was inspired by DT's Supercrush method especially on some of his solo stuff.
This mix was just a throw together kind of thing, needs some tidying but i'm liking the direction. This is my first attempt at this kind of thing so i'm hopefully only going to get better at it.

The vocal sound was inspired by Splat88 as i think he has the best vocal sound for cleans on this forum IMO.
Melodyne wasnt working so i just grew some balls and tried my best to sing on Key :err: It was kinda nice not writing and recording Deathcore for a change...
Anyways what does everyone think?
If you want any details, Signal chains, Lyrics etc etc i would be more than happy to post.

CHE

The song is called "The Ghost Of Times Past"

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2402398/The Ghost Of Times Past.mp3

EDIT- For some reason the vocals sound more out of tune when through my laptop computers but through my genelecs it sounds reasonable without melodyne.

Anyways please try not to listen through crappy monitors.

I think there is a bit too much verb here. DT uses good verbs, I think he uses Eventide delays and reverbs.

I absolutely love that kind of verbs, but this "shhhhhhh" in the highest frequencies is tiring on the vst verbs. I personnaly like the lowpass until it disapears, especially on snares. You may try to do so on yours ?

EDIT : It needs a little more mids, no ? Too much highs for me. That was a first impression.

Otherwise, you sing quite ok for a non-singer :)

Actually, the vocals don't really sound off in terms of key. The voice itself could use some improvement (speaking about the performance), but it's really OK.

Is it the reverb on vocals, or did some "ambient" sound seem synced to the more explosive consonants to me? Gets a little bit annoying sometimes.

I personally would have liked to hear the actual "ambient" sounds a bit louder, but it might just be because I'm quite a fan of "pure" electronic ambient.
Generally, a little less symmetry in the mix would help create more "space", IMO.

I highly enjoy this. In my opinion I think everything melds together nicely. I hear the voice, ambiances, and everything nicely. I don't think too much is off key at all. It's just the vocal patterns are different which can be interpreted as off-key. Just my two cents for whatever it's worth. :p

I'm really curious as to this "Supercrush Method" and "Splatt88" vocal sound. Could you elaborate more or explain how you achieved these?